As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, December 27, 2013

Drop it Like it's Hot... Friday, December 27

While out for coffee tonight, Snickers looked up at me and randomly asked, "What does 'drop it like it's hot' mean?"  The coffee shop where we were sitting in was playing Christmas carols so he obviously hadn't picked up this urban English slang from what we were listening to.  I didn't really know what it meant but have heard it numerous times, thanks Snoop Dog for that.  
Drop it like its hot

"I think it means a couple of things", I told him.  "Like what things?" he asked, and with that I gave him a few answers of what I thought it meant.


MY FIRST ANSWER...
ME:  I think it's a sexual reference.
HIM:  I don't know reference but is that like ref [referee]?
ME: No.... what?!  How do you connect 'referee' and 'sexual'?
drop it like its hot,HIM:  I don't know but you told me in Thailand they do crazy things.  Maybe they made a connection.
ME:  Maybe... pass.


MY SECOND ANSWER...
ME: It's like when those music video girls dance suddenly drop their bum so low to the ground when dancing, as in she drops it -- her bum -- like it's hot.
HIM: But really it's not hot, it's just big.
ME: Sure, but some guys like big bums.
Drop it like its hotHIM:  Do all western girls dance like that or is for big bums only?
ME:  Hahaha... I don't know.
HIM:  Do you dance like that?
ME:  Are you saying I have a big bum?!... wait, don't answer that.  Next meaning...

I used to drop it like it's hot. Then I started using oven mits.
MY THIRD ANSWER
ME: It also means to basically stop doing whatever you're doing, as in to drop what you're doing.
HIM: So.... when you tell me to stop watching TV you can say "Drop it like it's hot and come to bed"?!
ME: Ummm.... ok.
HIM:  Can I say "Drop it like it's hot" when I come to bed?
ME:  Depends... not sure on how to answer that. I'm going to drop you like it's hot.
HIM:  Oh ya!


As if the English language wasn't silly or complicated enough with it's spelling rules and exceptions, idioms and slang, now I've got Snoop Dog randomly putting strange lyrics in Snickers' head.  I still don't know where he heard Snoop Dog but it made for quite an amusing conversation trying to explain it.  Randomly through out the evening he tried to take a stab at using the phrase with, ironically enough, the closest correct use of it being when he excused himself to go to the bathroom.  "Amy, I have to go to the bathroom -- have to drop it like it's hot"  He would have been dead on if he was doing a #2 but he was only doing a quick #1, and yes, he knows the bathroom numbering system and gets kicks and giggles over using it.

1 comment:

ambearo said...

Hot is a slang term for stolen property. I think in the rest of the lyrics for the song it mentions police (or a slang for police).