As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Getting Inked for Christmas... Saturday, December 14

As we pushed our way through the overcrowded Emart that was buzzing with people doing their grocery shopping and checking off their Christmas shopping list, Snickers asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  I'm not expecting a gift from Snickers.  We go through this every Christmas, Birthday and Valentine's Day -- me hoping for a gift and then having my hopes crashed and burned.  He's just like my father, telling me that "but everyday is special" so why does he have to abide by such mainstream holidays and buy me a gift.  Fine, if everyday is special and everyday is to be celebrated than why don't I get a gift everyday?  Exactly.  

Despite him never really buying me a gift for the so-called "mainstream holidays", he always manages to play the hero and come up with some kind of last minute thing that saves the holiday.  Last Christmas it was him letting me keep Pacquiao.  Sure, he really wasn't supposed to stay with me but regardless, I got a puppy for Christmas and it sure beat any expected gift!  

I have four wishes on my Christmas wish list this year -- two that money can buy, one that will take quite the drop in cash and searching out to get and another that will have to wait till next Christmas.  Snickers knows what I've had my heart on and even the house I've fallen head over heels for, but I haven't used any of them for answers when Snickers asked me tonight what I wanted.

I told him I wanted a Starbucks Toffee Nut Latte for Christmas.  Yup, that's right.  I saw the sign as we entered Emart and have heard various members talking about it.  It's about $6 and the sugar and sweetness of it will probably leave me with a tummy ache and regretting the wish.  Snickers wants to go big and buy me a new winter jacket and training clothes but I'm much more interested in paying off WOW for loaning us the needed start-up money for Hulk's.   Buying coffee shop coffee used to be pretty much an everyday thing for me but everything changed when we started Hulk's.  Now it's really has become a luxury.  I treat myself to a cappuccino once a week and I am more than perfectly happy with that. And because it is only a once a week enjoyment, I surely do enjoy it much more than before.  So despite the thought of me wishing for a Starbucks Toffee Nut Latte perhaps sounding a bit silly or strange, it's not so strange to those who have even a remote idea of the cost it took to open Hulk's doors and can appreciate my earnest efforts to pay it back asap.  Asking for a rowing machine and Adipower boots, though they would greatly add my work, suddenly become unnecessary extras considering.

Snickers joked at my answer to his question but then later on, at the end of our shopping, I told him I wanted to change my answer.  I want to get my ink finished.

A little over a year ago I started getting my back inked -- a cherry blossom tree tattoo.  It starts at my waistline and carries all the way up my back, ending on the back of my shoulder blade.  It was originally started by a talented young tattooist from Thailand I helped bring to Korea for a friend's tattoo parlor.  He's since left and I've met his replacement, met quite a few of them actually.  I was anticipating to go there this weekend but ended up meeting up with WOW, having to run errands for Hulk's, and then we had to deal with the coal thingy-a-ma-jiggy at the club.  There's always something that needs to be done for work and we are as much married to each other as we are to Hulk's.  

Snickers keeps on asking me what I want for Christmas and what I want to do for the Christmas holiday time-off we've scheduled and now I know -- I want to get my tattoo worked on and finished.  I want to extend the trunk of the cherry blossom a bit past my waistline, add more tree branches, and get all the needed fine detailing done.  The work already done plus the work needed is quite expensive.  Correction, it would be, could be and should be quite expensive but it won't cost me a penny.  The tattoo artists I've been helping them get in from Thailand means I get all my ink for free.  Last year I cashed in and had their first artist start my tattoo.  Now it's time to get someone to finish it.   Maybe Snickers will surprise me with a Starbucks Toffee Nut Latte for the drive there and then I'd have both things on my wish list checked off.  That'd be pretty sweet.

No comments: