As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Ghetto Fabulous at an All Time High... Monday, December 30

The term "ghetto" got redefined today when what I thought was already kind of ghetto got more ghetto.

I used to think ghetto was washing my hands in a sink with only two options -- no water and cold water, that is until my options became no washing or using hand wipes.

Ghetto used to be a toilet with a door that had trouble shutting, that is until it became having to alternate toilets and note which toilets had been used.  Each toilet could only be used once until the water was fixed.

I once thought it ghetto that my hands would go numb from only having cold water at the juice bar to use but that too became more ghetto when I had to wash dishes using a limited bowl of water today.  Prioritising which dishes and cups to use, very ghetto.

Ghetto was having members shower in a public shower room with tiles still need working on. More ghetto was when those showers not working and members having to go home sweaty.

Using an old noisy laundry machine that tossed and rumbled while it washed was ghetto.  Having to take home baskets of club towels to do at home instead, more ghetto.

Freezing cold toilet seats, ghetto.  Having to go to the nearby public bathroom because all our toilets had been used once each, very ghetto.  Now peeing outside, the ultimate ghetto [note here that it wasn't me!!!]

Again with the freezing water, washing my daily spinach in it was ghetto.  Going next door to the movie theatre to wash it in the bathroom sink was definitely more ghetto.

Hulk's was rather ultra ghetto today on account that those pesky water pipes that froze yesterday never did thaw out like we had anticipated and worked earnestly towards happening.  Ended up calling the pros and, as it turned out, it was the main water pipe outside in our side parking lot that had frozen over.  Down through the concrete our hired help had to break through.  It took him a couple of hours and by the time he was successful the level of ghettoness happening at Hulk's with the water had reached an all time high -- a sad but super amusing high.  It's pretty incredible just how dependent we are on such a simple thing -- running water -- and how creative we had to get to do with out. 

I don't think I'll be able to show my face in the neighbouring movie theatre for some time now. I've surely been labelled the "strange foreign girl" considering I showed up to use their bathroom with a pot, a strainer and a bag of spinach.

Regardless of how ghetto today was, it was the last day of work for us at Hulk's for 2013 and we ended it in style by heading out for dinner with WOW President and Kato.  It wasn't until we were all cozy warm at their family restaurant that we could joke about today and just how super ghetto it had been.

No comments: