As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, December 02, 2013

Hulk's Makes the Half Year Mark... Monday, December 2

Today marked the sixth anniversary of Hulk's official grand opening and I woke up super happy at this fact.  I can't believe it's been exactly half a year since we first opened and I really don't know where the time went.  Sometimes it feels like just yesterday we were opening the doors and introducing our club to friends and family.
 
Six months... half a year... woozers.
 
There was definitely a particular high felt at the club today and I was just so overexcited about today's importance.  Many of our members noted the importance of the day and congratulated us but really we have them to thank for making it to today.  Hulk's Boxing seriously wouldn't be what it is without the continual support of everyone.  It's been really amazing.
 
We didn't have any official six month mark gift or any special event planned but we did hand out a lot of random freebies today -- protein bars, hand wraps, and mouth guards.  I even created a special protein smoothie for members to participate in a toast with me. 
 
If Friday was our busiest Free Train Friday and yesterday was our busiest Sunday, then today was appropriately our busiest Monday.  It was great to see the club busy with Hulkies training, "hulking out" as I like to put it, but it was hard for me to juggle doing padwork with them all.  There are very few members who are both as short as me and weigh close to me.  I bank on newer members not knowing yet how to really put their weight into their punches but I tend to get randomly hit by them when they mistake a punch I've called out.  Today I took a mean jab to the head, not fun.  Doing pad work with members that are taller than me is rather awkward because I have to keep my hands up high and it's hard for me to really judge their form.  And doing padwork with members bigger than me posses possible injury and damage to my body, particularly my shoulders.  During padwork sure it's them punching the pad and exerting the energy to put force behind their punch but it's me that has to stop their punches.  It can be very exhausting.  I tried to steer away from exhausting my shoulders by simply doing 1-2 jabs with members and staying away from calling out hooks.  But when I did work members on hooks, oh, I definitely exhausted them with making them do hook after hook, to the point where they had no more energy to do so.  Consequently, I was told today by three members that I train them much harder on padwork than Snickers does and two members claimed I "look evil".  Nice... hahaha.
 
I celebrated our sixth month anniversary by dipping into our profits to hand out numerous freebies, being accidentally punched in the head a couple of times, and being told I looked evil... not exactly what I anticipated but that's ok.  It's all good.  
 
By the end of the work day, I had done padwork with a couple of dozen boxers and I felt it.  Arrived home shortly after 12:30am and it was lights out for me by 1am.  I was exhausted... happily exhausted.

No comments: