As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Truth Behind Yuletide -- No longer in the Closet... Saturday, December 21

After our Couple Date Night, we had a couple of hours to kill before we had to return to Hulk's to change the coals.  We curled up in bed and decided to sing Christmas carols together.  We started at midnight, stopped at 2am to switch the coals, and then continued until a bit after 4am.

Christmas carols are like little bursts of magical energy that always seem to make me smile, regardless of whenever I listen to them.  And trust me, I HAVE listened to Christmas carols in the dead heat of summer and they've had the same effect on me.  

The plan was to continue teaching Snickers The First Noel so that he could memorize it by next week and sing it to my father.  Tonight we practiced it and a whack of many other additional carols.  For the most part, I used YouTube on my phone, looking up various carols that showed their lyrics on the screen.  Some songs we simply watched the YouTube mini music video and tried to sing along.  It was definitely more amusing trying to get Snickers to pick up the lines of the songs without singing the lyrics. Surely it put some major twists on some aged-old carols I have become familar with but have never heard twisted or misunderstood as such. 

THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
His reaction to it was very much like hearing "It's a Small World After all" at Disneyland.  He couldn't understand it but he also couldn't get the melody out of his head.  The song only lasted until the 6th day line before Snickers' strong frowns were joined by him complaining, "Make it stop!"

HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY CHRISTMAS
After telling Snickers that many of the Christmas carols we were listening to sang about the birth of Jesus -- the first Christmas -- he then understood a little bit more why things like angels were in some songs.  He also learned what other things were too, like a manger and sheperds.  Snickers read the lyrics for this particular song as they flashed on the YouTube video.  He stopped the song at one part and asked, "Who is Yuletide and why baby Jesus say make him gay?"  The line he of course was talking about was "Have yourself a very  merry Christmas, make the Yuletide gay."  I literally almost peed my pants.  After I forced myself to stop laughing until my tummy hurt, I then told him that yuletide meant Christmas spirit -- the Christmas feeling.  I think this only confused him more, that is until I told him "gay" also meant happy.  "Oh..." he added, "So I am gay!"  "Me too", I told him.

LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
He designated himself as being responsible for only singing the "pa romp pam pam pom" part, partly because that was the only part, oddly enough, he could make sense of. He thought it funny there was a singing drum sound effect part... hahaha.

FELIZ NAVIDAD
Wow, did this song ever get messed up. I didn't tell him the main course line was Spanish.  I simply let him listen to it and try to make out the lines.  "Feliz navidad" got interpreted into "Police never bad".

SANTA BABY
Right off the top, this song clearly got misunderstood when Snickers thought the song was "Santa's baby".  
"What his name?" he asked me. 
"What is whose name?" I asked.
"The song she is singing to, Santa's baby"

This opened up a whole cluster of questions, ranging from how old is his child and where did it come from.  Of course Santa isn't real, perhaps you should keep this from Snickers, but one thing I've noticed in Korea with regards to Santa is that there is no Mrs. Claus.  There is only Santa.  Telling Snickers there was a Mrs. Clause was followed by "Good job Santa!"

And here I thought teaching English back in the days was fun but tonight this was straight up hilarious. Snickers' and his ridiculously cute questions were no less amusing that the misunderstood lyrics he sang.  Police are never bad, Santa has a baby, and baby Jesus wants the sheperds to make Christmas to be a gay holiday-- not exactly what I got from the carols when I learned them in school.   None the less, carols will never be the same.

No comments: