As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Clubhouse Indeed... Thursday, January 16

The addition of our pool table at Hulk's has proven to be quite the distraction for not only members but also visiting friends and club guests.  Case in point, Stark stopped by to say hi today and upon seeing our new pool table, decided to stay for a game... or two... or three.  His few games turned into few hours, 6 hours to be exact.  Ok, so he maybe didn't just play pool -- he took Snickers out for lunch, bought me cappuccino, worked out, and then watched a movie.  The pool table definitely lured him in though.

Hulk's is slowly but surely turning into quite the multi-purpose, multi-functional one-stop place for not only Snickers and I but also our members and friends. At one point today, I stopped and counted 8 members in the club but that particular moment only one of them was training.  The 7 other members were busy doing other things at other various other spots within our club.

1.  Sipping on tea by the coal thingy-a-ma-jiggy.
2.  At the juice bar, drinking a Hulk Smash smoothie and flipping through the TV channels.  
3.  Playing pool with Snickers.
4.  Showering because of having just  finished training.
5.  In the former lounge area, getting a magazine. 
6.  Horsing around with Pyen Chi and I (chasing our four-legged gal).
7.  Sleeping off a headache in what is now called the "Hulk Suite", aka T-Boy's former bedroom.

I felt so happy at that moment, seeing that we had created Hulk's, a place that so many of our members and friends -- our Hulk's family -- enjoy hanging out in.  I love it especially when Hulkies drop by just to hangout and chat.  We really want them to feel a sense of belonging and comfort here, after all the club is for us to work in but for them to enjoy. 

At Hulk's we have the following...
-- boxing training area with 6 hanging sandbags
-- equipment room for our club boxing gloves
-- crossfit training area that's stacked with a squat machine, cable machine, monkey bars, robes, two transport truck tires, and benches
-- a boxing ring (that's an obvious)
-- weight training area that has a full set of dumbbells, kettlebells and medicine balls
-- a loaded juice bar that has a fridge, freezer, microwave, dishes, lots of food, bar stools, and a +20ft counter and a reception area
-- a front entrance shoe shelf room
-- a "Coach's corner" wall for all our club news, calendar and notices
-- a five-stall bathroom with a private shower room
-- a male's group shower room with three showers
-- a large locker room with two private changerooms
-- an office with a computer and fax/scanner/photocopier machine
-- a pool play area in our mini pro shop
-- a front seating area 
-- former lounge area that will eventually become a cardio center
-- mini laundry area with a washing machine
-- Hulk Suite (private bedroom)
-- two extra storage rooms, one behind the juice bar and the other at the back
-- a secret room

Yes, we have a secret room.  It's more or less just as big as me standing with my arms stretched out -- super small -- but none the less it is a room.  It's not really a secret actually because I am almost sure all members have seen it's door but no one has opened it lately.  As a precaution, to see if anyone was opening such door, I pulled a prank by placing something rather eerie on the other side of it.  I scared myself setting it up with one of my buddies and, consequently, I decided to rig it differently after the fact. I don't know if what I originally placed in the secret room is still there, am not sure if my buddy took "it" out, but perhaps it's only fitting that the secret room has a secret. 

No comments: