As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Korean Say and Do the Cutest Things... Wednesday, January 16

If you think kids say the darnest things, well, perhaps you've never spoken to a Korean who doesn't really speak English.  Here are random conversation pieces from my day. Pieces, I should note, that were all taken from conversations with individuals old enough to be well in their double digits but sound rather like children with their broken English (and most of which are equally as cute).

ME:  Who are you going with to the Philippines?
HIM #1:  Jesus.  [He meant his church group.]

HIM #2:  Look, electronics! [Pointing to a  static electric spark from his shirt.]

ME:  What do you think about the Spartan circuit.
HER #1:  I no think, only pain.

HIM #3:  Amy, pants no.  Naked legs ok? [He meant is it ok if he trained in shorts.]

ME:  Ok, let's do some warm-up stretching.
HER #2:  Many cold... we hug, ok?! Hahaha...
ME: Ummm... that will only stretch our arms... hahaha.

ME:  Ok, now do this exercise for 3 sets of 12 reps.
HIM #4:  Replay. [He meant could I please repeat what I just said.]

Or perhaps you think kids do the darnest things, well, my Koreans got the kids beat on that too...

In continuation with yesterday's entry about the two guys slipping out to smoke and me pulling a cap gun on them, today they slipped out again so I decided to lock the front door on them.  And what should they do but walk dangerously on the 10cm window ledge and lick my window!!!

Someone tried to eat Pyen Chi's meat today, yup. How nasty is that.  We're always having random chicken parties so I suppose the notion of random meat on the juice bar wasn't a surprise but it was in her dish.  Korean does eat raw meat too so I guess it wasn't so odd.  He got so far as bringing a raw rib up to his nose to smell it before I screamed out in horror.  "Nooooooo!!!"  Pyen Chi would have bitten his head off had he ate it not to mention a much needed hospital visit. 

A couple of Hulkies showed up just to drink some of our tea and play pool while a couple of our female Hulkies stopped by to check out a particular most elidgable and most favoured bachelor they heard was in town -- Stark.

Two members each had random head-on collisions with the club mirrors today. I don't understand it, wouldn't the fact that you see yourself starring back at you tell you something?!  Hasn't anyone heard of "Double Gangers" -- you're supposed to cross the street and walk the opposite way if you see them!!!

Another random person thought they'd get away with using the locker room as a changing room.  How uncomfortable was I, giving a tour to a visitor and walking in on that?! Hello, very.  Thankfully both the visitor and purple silk panty-wearing member were both males.  Waited till the visitor left to take the member aside to remind him of using the change rooms and to tell him he shouldn't be wearing such panties in public.  My initial tease was going to joke to him about wearing what looked like his mom's panties but I tamed it down. His buddies had a blast joking with him about it though.

No comments: