As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, January 06, 2014

One Peachy Monday... Monday, January 6

I dropped a tire on my foot, because that's a normal, every day thing to happen and how appropriate for it to happen on a Monday, because everyone looooves Mondays. Well, it kind of is an expected thing to happen when you work at a place that uses two massive 150kg tires for our crossfit training. Yup, dropped a 150kg tire on the edge of my left foot and it felt grrrrrrrrrreat, let me tell you.

And if that wasn't a peachy enough way to start the new week, then perhaps T-Boy taking off was.  Yup, we lost T-Boy.  And with only the clothes on his back and a pocket full of cash we gave him, we have no idea where he is, what he is doing and if he is ever coming back.  I really don't care to go into the mess here, it's a long complicated story that I don't quite understand why it even took place and I don't even know if the story ends here. Snickers is beyond ticked, WOW is very confused and I am just so extremely disappointed, we all are.  I cried in front of everyone at Hulk's and no one knew what to say because it's such a messed up situation now.  I'm just waiting for someone to say "I told you so" and they better be waiting for my response too. Am going to seriously give them a mean 1-2-hook and punch them to kingdom come.

Due to the situation with T-Boy, Hulk's is now being "babysat" around the clock, meaning in addition to our club security cameras we also are making sure there is someone there at ALL hours -- all hours of the day AND night.  My K-Crew has all been informed of the situation and so a rotation sleeping schedule for this week has been made.  I'm scheduled for tomorrow night.

And if the drama that unfolded today with T-Boy wasn't enough for me to have to wrap my brain around and digest, talk of the supposed "Hulk's ghost" circled around among our members. It was funny to see, members trying to spook each other with the talk, but all my laughing stopped when yet another strange and deranged situation happened.  I was in the office when suddenly Pyen Chi raced towards it and barked. She stood in the office doorway, looking up and barking. So, naturally, I looked up and what should I see but a hole in the ceiling. It's been there even before Hulk's time and I have always known it to be there but today was the first time Pyen Chi stood there starring at it and barking. Then, a bit later in the day, while I was again in the office, Pyen Chi walked up to the office closet and started growling at it [see above picture].  I should note here that the ceiling in the office is much shorter than that of the rest of the club.  It had been specifically made shorter to account for the air conditioner and it's vent tubing that needed space.  The air condition has since been removed so now we have a closet were the body of the machine once sat.  We haven't done anything with the big chunk of empty space between the office ceiling and the club ceiling, it remains unused, but the thought of possibly someone or something up there looking down at me while I type on the computer... oh gosh.  That thought alone was enough for me to get goosebumps and refrain from using the computer today.  Stuck to typing emails on my phone, how ghetto is that?! 

So I had the "pleasure" of dropping a transport truck tire on my foot, the disappearance of T-Boy, and a strange-acting, a ghost-hunting Pyen Chi to deal with, and thoughts of a possible someone or something hiding away in my office ceiling today.... ya, today was real peachy.

The good among the bad that happened today, because there is always some good mixed in with the bad just like there's always some bad in good, was the addition of new members.  But not just ANY members.  I'm talking about former teammates of mine from UP Boxing joining Hulk's and I'm talking about one rebellious sibling of a current champion who trains out of UP and whom Junior Mint has kept on a super short leash.  Yup, the younger brother of one of my former teammates quit UP and joined our Hulk family today.  We had quite the good giggle tonight during training when I told a bunch of our boxers to stop and look at each other.  It was then that they realised there were seven of us, right here and right now, from UP who have "gone green" and joined the Hulk family... cool.

No comments: