As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Smiles and Giggles to Frowns of Concern... Sunday, January 12

Handing out the New Year, New You Hulk's promo flyer was amusing enough for me -- me, a foreign gal, approaching random Korean strangers and talking to them in English.  Many responded with giggles and thank yous, others responded by blurting out what I could only guess were random song lyrics from some English song or another, while some gathered around me out of curiosity.  The shock value was priceless and it proved to be quite effective.  And with about 1,000 copies of our promo flyer with both Snickers' and my half naked boxing pose pictures on it having been passed out downtown, people have started to point me out in the downtown crowd.  As I stood at the lights today, waiting to cross so that I can start my morning run, two girls nudged each other and then one asked me if I was Amy.  I got a most random thumbs up from a local street seller who I had given our flyer to and another said hi to me by name as I passed.

After work, WOW President, Snickers and I headed out for dinner and as I got out of WOW's posh car, four guys standing outside a local shop smoking yelled my name.  "Boxing good money!" one noted.  It was obvious he had taken notice of WOW's car and I mean how could you not.  It's a pimped up Audi with all the extra fixings, shiny rims and it's super glossy like a school girl's lips.  I laughed at his comment and responded with, "I rode in the back because I wish!"

The recognition via the flyer is very entertaining but it means nothing if it doesn't bring in new members and over dinner we discussed this with WOW.  For the past several Sundays we've been ending our work day with what has become a weekly Hulk family dinner out.  I noted today at the dinner table that this time last week our dinner table sat four of us -- WOW President, Snickers, myself, and T-Boy.  Our table sat only three tonight and we all felt his absence.

This time last week we sat as a family, the four of all giggling and enjoying each other's company as well as the plentiful food that sat before us.  It was hard to enjoy tonight's meal fully, knowing that one is missing and not knowing what has become of him or where he is.  I worry about him.  Snickers says it's over but I argue that it's not.  I know trust has been broken but you can't expect T-Boy to think and act the way we do because he is by no means the same.  His twenty-six years of existence consist of 17 years at an orphanage, 9 years in a prison and then 3 months of bouncing around from place to place, like sauna houses, and living out of two bags.  I should note here that both of these two bags are still at our boxing club.  

I can't accept that this situation is over.  I have to do something but what, I don't know.

No comments: