As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Mini-Hulkies to the Rescue... Friday, April 18

So much talk has been going on since the ferry sunk off of the Korean coast and I refrained from posting anything about it here because already my eyes are glued to the TV like September 9/11.  Today, however, I can't help but post about it because, as of late this afternoon, the Sanglok marathon officials sent the word out that next weekend's marathon will be postponed as a means of paying respect to all those involved in the ongoing tragedy.  The marathon has been postponed until September 28th which poses numerous problems, the fact that many of our non-Korean participants may not even be still living in the country being a big one.  I won't go into the other various issues and the domino effect of headaches it's now going to bring me because it's really irrelevant in comparison to the current situation at hand, the tragedy that's still playing out that is.  However, I will instead say this, wouldn't a tragedy be all the more reason why to keep the event going?!  I mean, I'm a firm believer that positive energy is contagious -- ALL energy is contagious for that matter, both the positive and negative -- and perhaps some positive energy is what the rest of Korea needs, to get itself through this tragedy.

So no talking about the postponed marathon... I can't change the decision that's been made despite me not agreeing with it.  I think this is one of the cases where being Canadian really differentiates me from the Korean way of thinking.

Anyways... I did wrote "no talking about the postponed marathon", so let me stay true to this till at least another more appropriate time.

Moving on...

Today I woke up with no voice.  I'm talking about not even a raspy, sounds-like-you're-a-chain-smoker voice -- no voice!!!  It's pretty equivalent to the that of the sound of dolphins mixed with the sound of pigs squealing -- very odd and not very comprehensible to the normal human ear.  And to think, I had to manage the boxing club by myself today, great.  I knew Snickers would be coming in to do padwork with members from 7 to 9pm so I only had to manage to get myself through the first five hours of business alone... no problem, right?!  Well, yes and no.  I tried to save my voice by sticking to whispering to members, which only made me feel somewhat like a pervert having to lean in so they could hear me.  I figured I'd be ok unless someone were to come and say visit the club for the first time which, as Murphy's Law would have it, is exactly what happened.

I have to stop right here and do a quick much-needed shout-out to two of my little mini-Hulkies, two sisters, who really helped me out soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much today, and yes the excessive 'o's were very needed.

So as Murphy's Law would have it, a visitor walked into Hulk's today, wanting to ask a million and one questions about Hulk's and of course they wanted a full guided tour and explanation of the club.  [This is where my two mini-Hulkies proved their fabulosity and took over.]  I struggled to even introduce myself and had to excuse myself while I grabbed a cup of water.  Two of my mini-Hulkies had just arrived for training when the visitor walked in and I struggled with introducing myself.  The youngest one, only 9 years old, approached the visitor and introduced me, then told them if they wanted to check out the club then they could do as they pleased.  She told them the pricing for one month, three months, and told them our hours of operation.  I was so incredibly impressed by this little one, I mean I knew she was awesome but I had no idea she was to-the-moon-and-back awesome!

I am so blessed by my Hulkies and Snickers is definitely more envious than ever about just how close the mini-Hulkies are with me.  He told me later tonight that he caught sight of me on the club camera with another mini-Hulkie.  We had just finished training and were sitting on the front sofas teaching each other a hand-clapping game.  The fact that the mini-Hulkies and I are close is rather ironic considering just how much Snickers adores the little ones.  He says it's not fair because I don't even really like kids.  Ya, I'm not really a fan of the little ones but I argue my mini-Hulkies aren't your average kids, they're regular people but in smaller bodies... hahaha.  Kids, ya I'm not a fan, but I'm definitely a fan of our mini-Hulkies.

No comments: