As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Our Business is Our Pleasure... Sunday, April 20

Today in a brief recap:
Attended the Sunday Morning Breakfast Club meeting.
FIRST ROAD TRIP WITH TONKA SMASH!!!
Checked out the Flower Festival in Taean.
Watched Snickers climb a tree.
Admired some horses.
Cheered on some 4x4 drivers.
Kite-watched.
Ocean side lunch.
Checked out various camping spots for the upcoming Hulk's trip.
Boxing at Hulk's, 7pm.
Watched the wildest sparring session e-v-e-r.
Post-Training dinner party.
Late night movie date with Snickers and VOD.
Crashed early.
Definitely wasn't anticipating hitting the club for some boxing after a solid afternoon in the sun and the four hours of driving that accompanied it.  None the less, some Hulkies wanted to train, Snickers wanted to train and I wanted to support them so I trained too.  We haven't been having our usual chicken parties lately despite scoring extra points in our weekly rounds of the Hulk's point game but instead having been taking Hulkies out for dinner after weekend training.  Both yesterday and today we trained and both days we went out for a post-training meal with our Hulkies. 

Over dinner we discussed our upcoming camping trip.  We haven't yet posted the sign up sheet and we haven't advertised about it on our Facebook group page.  The camping trip will be a smaller event, with a maximum of 6 participants able to join Snickers and I.  We're not particularly interested in doing big events actually, especially not another big camping event.  Last year we did two camping trips -- a small group one and a much larger one.  Both were very different but I much prefer the smaller one.  About two months ago a friend of ours who actually attended our smaller group camping trip committed suicide and I think perhaps this fact surely adds to why I'm leaning more in favor of a smaller group event.  It was much more intimate event and we really got to talk to our members one-to-one, on a much more personal level.  As for the larger group camping event, it too was great but the feeling was surely different.  Many members wondered off, small groups formed and I think it's safe to say certain members felt rather left out.  We might do one large camping trip this year again, maybe, but  definitely smaller ones, and I am hesitant as to whether or not to allow non-club members again. 

Hulk's Boxing is Snickers and my business but it's just as much a personal thing to us as it is a business thing. The line between business and personal is very faded in.  Having said this, if we're going to give not only our business attention but also our personal time to it then yes, we are going to be selective with who we let attend our events.  The plan was always to do one event a month but this month's A Day At the Races, Round Three, has been unfortunately postponed due to the ferry tragedy.  We were thinking of posing a substitute event this upcoming week because of the marathon being postponed but considering this is Korea and Korea views it good-manner to hold off on any kind of celebration or festive event, we have to comply to its way of thinking and hold off too.   Having said this though, we'll only hold off for an extra week.  

No comments: