As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Everyday Is One Step Closer... Wednesday, July 30

Every week I meet, talk with and hear countless people talk about their body and it's usually what they don't like and what they would like to change.  And that's ok with that, after all your body is whatever you make of it, as long as you're being proactive about it.  There's no point complaining about something you're not willing to work on to change.  And I can't stand when people complain about the results they don't get from the work they didn't do, that's just borderline silly.

Everyday I see people working on changing their bodies and I consider that one of the most positive aspects of my job, why I feel I am blessed to work in such a positive environment.  Whether it's a member who comes everyday or a member who comes once a week, everyone is proactively trying in their own way possible to better themselves.  They're here because they want to be, because they want to change and because they're willing to work.  They may not all particularly enjoy the hard training but they're willing to push themselves through it because they want to make their body stronger and healthier.  

Everyday I'm trying to better myself too.  I've been very consist with my boxing, training everyday from Monday to Thursday (1.5hr each day), Friday is my day off, Saturday I have boxing and the Crossfit Challenger class (2hrs), and on Sunday I have sparring (30mins).
My Mon -- Thurs and Saturday workout:

WARM-UP

2mins -- stretching
10mins -- treadmill
BOXING
5 rounds -- shadow boxing
10 rounds -- sandbag work
WEIGHT TRAINING
16mins -- Crossfit class [Saturday class is 36mins and includes plank work]
8mins -- plank work (2mins x 3 sets)
I've been eating super clean, ditching one of my two weekly cheat meals and only allowing myself one. I've bought some super delish and very healthy snack options for myself from iHerb so they fill any cheat craving I may have but in a healthy fashion, plus I really want to make my clean eating more strict. I've been faithfully logging in everything I eat and my daily exercise into my phone app called "MyFitnessPal" because I'm way beyond just the simplicity of portion controlling what I eat. I officially have started focusing on my macro nutrients but am struggling in that I eat way more protein than the program says I need and often I don't eat enough calories. What an ironic problem to have -- I don't eat enough. I prep all my food for the week once a week and always have plenty of healthy snacks on hand but my own training mixed with how many times within one day I demonstrate a particular exercise, like all the ones in the daily crossfit class, or end up running around with the mini Hulkies, what my body needs calorie wise and the amount I'm taking in just aren't matching up. When I first started looking at my calorie count and macro nutrients, I was only consuming about 60-70% of the calories I needed everyday, most of which were from protein.  Oh how I love my chicken and eggs!!!

I know my problem isn't training because I know for a fact I train like a beast and no one who has ever seen me train will deny that point.  I can out plank anyone here, out push-up and out squat any fellow female, and I know I lift heavier than many of the male Hulkies here too.  I'm building muscle but getting my body fat down has been painstakingly frustrating.  It's got to be my eating.  It's incredibly frustrating to me, to see so many Hulkies changing, making and molding their bodies and to be simply just maintaining my own.  I'm incredibly proud and happy for their success, of course, but I want so bad to be that poster child kind of female coach for them that I long to be.  I want when someone new walks into Hulk's for them to know without a doubt that I must work here and not just workout here, and I think what differentiates me from looking like I workout to looking like I work here as a trainer is a more drastic and exaggerated body.  A sports bra and leggings, that's my goal work outfit.  I want people to walk through the door and be taken back by me like so many others are of Snickers.  My key to becoming this intimidating coach is my eating. 

Just recently I've started taking an online course through the University of Pittsburgh.  It's called "Nutrition and Physical Activity for Health".  It's a course I researched online and thought would work wonders if I studied the material and applied it to my own health and fitness, to my clean eating.  So every week I print out the Powerpoint screen files, watch an online lecture and then study the extra weeks.  One week's worth of material takes me about 2-3 weeks to get through if I study hard and really spend undivided attention on it but of course running a boxing club and all that's attached with that job means my attention is always divided.  No worries, I'm in no rush.  I really got to nip this clean eating struggle I have in the butt though if I want to take my body to the next level.  I refuse to be one of those people who doesn't practice what they preach and though I do live the word I give to my members, it'd be great if I could be a better example.  I don't want to just be that strong female coach.  I want to be that "holy crap she's intimidating" kind of coach!!!

No comments: