As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Frustrated Being Fight-less... Friday, July 25

With the show-stopping success our club has been having at both the past tournaments we've participated in, we've been invited to participate in another.  This time we want to bring more amateur boxers however.  We've been in contact with Adidas so our amateur uniforms are going to be quite sweet -- only the best for our boxers!!!  

It's awesome that we're making our mark and creating quite the strong name for our club in the amateur world of Korean boxing but I've yet to hear back regarding KBA and KBC.  I'm assuming things aren't settled which is rather crazy considering Korea is all about "bully-bully" (translates to "fast-fast").  Perhaps this only pertains to manual work and not mental work, I don't know.  But what I do know is I still have no word, still can't schedule a fight and now close friends and fellow pro boxers are bombarding me with questions about my comeback.  It's all so very frustrating.  Adidas is sending me new boxing boots -- the Adipower boots that were made specifically for the 2012 Olympians -- so I'm very, very, VERY excited about that.

Get me a fight already, seriously.

I'm just so sick and tired of being sick and tired with waiting for news regarding KBC and KBA.  I haven't even been able to sign with my new manager because of all the political drama going on with them. I mean, I've been training like an animal but there are definitely those days when I seriously wonder why I'm pushing myself to such extremes if the fight I'm fighting for isn't even in the ring.  

When will my fight be in the ring and not outside of it?!  Good question because I'd like to know the answer. 

Am almost tempted to go the route Snickers did and sign for a fight with Road FC -- go from fighting in the ring as a boxer to fighting in the cage as a MMA fighter.  I mean what other choice do I have?!  I am a fighter, I need a fight and not having a fight is like having blue balls as a boxer.  I could go back and fight down south South Korea, where the fights aren't exactly legally sanctioned nor really legal in any sense of the word.  I promised I wouldn't go back though and I can't.  I have too much riding, too much of a life here in Korea to risk getting involved with that again.  Plus it'd mean I'd have to do X number of fights before I can even be able to leave the country so I can kiss seeing Canada again for at least another year.  

Just get me fight.  I'm so over watching everyone else around me step into the ring to test out their sparring and get in their fights when it could and should be me too.  

No comments: