As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, August 25, 2014

My Dad is Building Muscles!!!... Monday, August 25

I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing, telling me that money was being transferred into my bank account -- various Hulkies had bank wired me their next month's club fee this morning.  It was a super sweet way to wake up, especially considering it is a Monday, the start of a fresh new work week.

I called my dad today, my Papa Bere, and it was coming up to 4am when I did so.  My father, age 72 now, has started to lifting weights these day and you can imagine I am more than excited to hear this.  As if my father wasn't the cutest and coolest Polack already, he's unpacked my old weights from back in the day and has started to weight train.  The selection of weights are limited and few but none the less I am super happy to hear that he's taking care of himself more than I imagined he would.  I remember when he and I last were together in person, in Canada.  I had gone through his freezers, fridge and fruit cellar, emptying it out and brainstorming what meals he could make and whatnot.  We even went grocery shopping together, to stock up on lots of fresh foods.  It was then that I introduced him to the wonderful world of spinach -- a vegetable that has surely become my staple veggie and an item I practically don't go a day without eating.  I showed him how to incorporate it into many simple dishes but I think he best liked my simple spinach salad because it was ultra simple and had slivered almonds and dried cranberries in it.  

So my dad is working out, super thrilled about that, and he asked me what kind of exercises and routine he should be following, super duper thrilled about that!  Turns out he is weight training every day, sometimes twice a day!  It's definitely at the top of my list to do, typing out and emailing him a weekly workout weight training routine to follow.  I'm almost giddy like a school girl at just the thought of it.  I just think it's so great that not only is he more conscious about what he eats but also with his body's physical activity.  So proud of him.  Way to go Papa Bere -- you continue to be the best!!!

No comments: