As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Some Healthy Competition Among Us at Hulk's... Wednesday, August 20

Competition is on at Hulk's with members getting their monthly weigh-ins done and the more extreme sport enthusiasts among us insisting on print-out results.  Getting your results printed out on our new InBody230 machine means getting a much more in depth detailed reading of your body's condition -- see the above picture of my inbody report from the start of this month.
Announcing the TOP TEN FITTEST bodies at Hulk's Boxing:
1.  WOW
2.  New Guy (now nicknamed "87")
3.  Coach Amy
4.  My male workout buddy
5.  Little Miss Road Runner
6.  K.S.
7.  Kato
8.  Snickers
9.  J.G
10. I.H
Only 2 of the 10 in this top ten list are females and 7 of the 10 have been training at Hulk's for at least half a year.

So who are these people, well, here's a brief one-liner intro of each of them:
1.  Our club's main sponsor, a man who is 48 now and probably in the best health of his life.
2.  A new member of Hulk's and who comes with quite the impressive sports background.
3.  Me -- professional boxer and coach here at Hulk's.  I teach all the crossfit classes (4-8 a day).
4.  A buff boy who was all about bodybuilding before he incorporated boxing into his training for his cardio.
5.  A fellow foreign female who has done numerous half and full marathons.
6.  One of our most improved amateur boxers.
7.  Our main sponsor WOW's son and our prize amateur boxer.
8.  Former Super Light Champion and coach here at Hulk's.
9.  Young university student who majors in sports education and is on a very sports teams.
10. A young guy who solely does weight training at our club and is an avid road runner.

There's my motivation right there for today -- a club full of healthy, happy bodies.  Healthy, happy bodies that are as eagerly and earnestly trying to better themselves as they are their rankings, sweet.  It's tight competition though, especially between the three of us in spots 3-5.  I think there's only one or two points that distinguish each which is crazy cool in my eyes because I love a good healthy competition plus it means I'm training some super fit people.  

I think the rankings that I am most impressed with are that of WOW at number 1 and Little Miss Road Runner at number 5.  WOW is coming up to age 50 but he's surely got a stronger and healthier body than most that aren't even half his age.  I love people like him, people who break age-related stereotypes.  Everyone knows who WOW is at Hulk's, even people who've never ever even been to our club.  He's that wow of a person.. [nice pun there, thanks]. 

As for Little Miss Road Runner, definitely am proud of her and not just because she's a fellow female and a fellow foreigner.  I'm proud of her because she doesn't fit Korea's image of what the "ideal female body" looks like but instead is proudly strong and is quite the fierce sports lady, taking on not only her running and weight training but also boxing and crossfit.  Little Miss Road Runner is, as her name implies, a runner but she's not super lean with long runner legs up to my head.  Instead, she's like me.  She is built and she's built strong.  She sports runner legs that sport more muscle than the average person as stated in her InBody report.  Both her and I actually are the only two whose InBody report stated that we didn't need to gain muscle or lose body fat and that's pretty awesome.  With WOW ranking in first place, he's become the goal of many but both Little Miss Road Runner and I agree that we want to be BETTER than WOW.  

No comments: