As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Definitely a Super Cool Moment... Friday, October 24

Had very super, duper cool moment today when I was busy training.  A member had interrupted my training to ask me to correct his boxing form and then no sooner had I started helping him but another member interrupted me to tell me a visitor had arrived.  I looked up and there at the front of the club stood a young Korean mother holding a child with a Western man standing beside her.  I greeted them, smiled and then before I could say anything more the lady said, "I don't know if you remember me but we used to email each other."  She then told me her name but it didn't ring any bell in my head.  Then it did and when it did I jumped back and blurted out a loud "Oh my gosh!!!" I knew exactly who she was and it was so wild that she was standing right beside me, here in Korea and here in my boxing club.

Back in 2006/2007, back when MySpace was the popular social media and Facebook wasn't even around, I met this Korean girl online.  Her name was Jane.  I was still very new to Korea and she was Korean but living overseas.  We clicked. We sent each other messages often and even sent each other random gifts.  I still have the Gwen Stefani wallet she sent me and still very much love it.  Anyways, that girl I met years ago online, Jane, was the girl who showed up today.  After 7-8 years we finally met and it was just so cool.  I remember when she first started dating her husband, she had started counting the days.  And there she was today, standing with her husband and with their little baby.  A friendship that had started almost double digits ago, a friendship that I thought would merely consist of passing emails was now a meeting in the flesh and involved us passing hugs.  I never thought in a million years that we would ever meet but it was so amazing that we did.  I was all smiles from ear to ear having them at Hulk's and sharing life stories.  They had come to Korea to visit family but they had decided to trek out to Cheonan to search out Hulk's and come meet me.  It was so cool... and how many times have I already written that already in this posting?! Exactly. It was just that cool -- so cool. 

It's crazy how life is.  Eight years ago I was a totally different person.  I was living in Sambu with Mi Nam and had just broken up with the Notorious Ex.  My hair was black, I was working at a middle school and was all into my female bodybuilding.  Now I live at my boxing club with Pyen, Pac, Bal, and I am married.  I now do professional boxing, run my own boxing club and am very much all about my boxing.  A lot has happened in 8 years for both her and I.  She is now a mommy for goodness sake and that's awesome.  We may have once been on a similar chapter with our lives but we're now so different but that's fabulous because we're both so very happy and still friends. 

Life is good and it's pretty wonderful but today was just so dang super cool!!!

No comments: