As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Finally Home... Saturday, October 18

Today was definitely a day of letting go, getting over and coming back to real life, and for these reasons I had a hard time today digesting it all and had huge expectations.  My huge expectations started to crash as soon as I got off the air plane at Incheon and I walked out of the departure gate only to be greeted by no one but strangers looking back at me.  Snickers was late but Tommy-Toes suggested he had forgotten about me.  I know he was joking but it definitely hit a sensitive spot with me for more reasons than one and I instantly became defensive and felt heartbroken.  

I had to head outside to look for Snickers and while I waited for him at the bus area a man standing a bit too close to me then leaned on me.  I turned around and, in Korean, asked him what his problem was.  "Don't touch me or I'll touch you -- I'll break you", I added.  Tommy-Toes who had been standing beside me pulled me back.  I wasn't having a good day already.  I had spent the entire air plane ride sitting beside two cellphone game addicts who thought it was socially acceptable to play their games the entire flight with the sound on.  I hinted at my annoyance by asking them if they needed earphones and then offered mine, but they said they didn't need any.  I finally had to get the stewardess to help me out and even then it only meant they played with no sound but still chatted away about the game to each other.  So getting off that sleepless overnight flight with Dumb and Dumber sitting beside me, then having some strange and deranged man suddenly lean on me and Tommy-Toes joking that maybe Snickers forgot about me, well, it meant I was not happy when I did finally figure out where Snickers was.  

All the ride home I heard Tommy-Toes retell the entire week to Snickers but it wasn't exactly the week as I had lived out.  Mine wasn't so happy-go-lucky and full of bright sunshine and smiles.  My sun was shining but it was also beating the hell out of me as I ran through it on my morning runs.  I just wanted to get home and I wanted Tommy-Toes to go to his.

Finally I arrived home but I wasn't alone.  Snickers came in with me to capture our pups' reaction to me after a week away and then he and Tommy-Toes chatted outside.  It was so great to see Pyen Chi, Balboa and Pacquiao.  They jumped all over me, nipped at my face, pulled on my sweater sleeves, and barked.  

I was so mentally and emotionally exhausted, so much so that when I laid my head on the pillow it was lights out for me until about midnight.  I hadn't eaten anything beyond the cappuccino and sandwich at the highway road stop but I wanted nothing more to just stay wrapped up in the blankets with my man and our babies, so that's exactly what I did... and it was perfect.  I was finally home.

No comments: