As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 21, 2014

Decking the Walls of Hulk's... Friday, November 21

I don't know if it will work and by "it" I mean my fireplace for the Hulk's Christmas decorations.  It's one of those things I have hyped up in my head, clearly thought it'd be a brilliant idea, but am now having second doubts about.  I'm going foe a whole "homey Christmas" scene at the front of Hulk's -- the lights, the tree, the mistletoe, the fireplace, and even the stockings.  The fireplace serves as both something for me to hang the club advent calender on and the stockings but the execution of it's construction today was a mix of playing large scale Tetrus and juggling all the boxes.  I didn't have enough boxes to simply and safely stack on top of one another so they're opened up and taped the heck out of.  I doubt it will have the strength to hold up the Advent calender much less the stockings and I am nervous that my eagerness to finish it will result it being a total flop.

As for the rest of the decorations, my two mini Hulk assistants came tonight, all eager and excited to deck the walls of Hulk's with some Christmas cheer.  I came up with this genius idea of how to get out of having to cut paper snowflakes -- use doilies from the store and simply cut a few pieces out.  The end result of us using the doilies instead of fully cutting our own snowflakes was that we were able to make an impressive 200 snowflakes!  We then attached them to fishing line and then to the front entrance and juice bar counter.  Kato and one of other regular Hulkies helped set up the Christmas tree and untangle the Christmas lights.  We have so many lights this year -- love, love, LOVE Christmas lights!!!

My mini assistants had showed up tonight at 8:30pm and stayed till about 10:40pm.  We had made and hung all the snowflakes, got the tree up, attacked the juice bar ceiling with tinsel, and had even added some decorations to the front entrance.  I really couldn't had done it with out them, really, and all it took was a bribe of hot chocolate and a plate of chocolate dipped cookies.  When they left, I continued decorating.  I hung all the Christmas lights and then decorated the tree.

In unpacking all our Christmas decorations and whatnot, I found a box of ornaments from last year.  They were the silver and gold balls that we had got each member to write their wish on.  I looked through them tonight.  Many of the guys asked for a girlfriend or money where as many of the girls asked for a diet-related wish, like a specific goal weight. I found my ornament. I had wished for my father to come to Korea so that he could see our boxing club, meet my pups and see my life.  I had also wished for a real Christmas tree for this year.  I never did get either of my wishes.  This year we will be doing the same activity with our members, getting them to write out their Christmas wish on an ornament.  This year the ornaments aren't balls but instead are pretty gold and silver hearts.  I love Christmas and I love celebrating it with our Hulkies but I honestly don't think I'll make a wish this year.  Still hoping last year's wish will one day come true.

No comments: