As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Trying to Simulate Fight Day Intensity... Thursday, December 18

Training was BRUTAL today.  Yes, definitely deserving of all caps for that word!!!

In Snickers' attempt to up the intensity of my training he's been making me layer on my training clothes.  My clothing added an extra 0.9kgs for me to train in.

Layer 1:  thermal leggings and thermal long sleeve top
Layer 2:  training leggings and a hooded sweater
Layer 3:  insulated training pants and insulated training jacket 

With me fighting in Laos and not having much time to adjust to the drastic change in temperatures, Snickers tried to simulate a hotter environment.  So if the added weight of my layered clothing wasn't enough to increase the intensity and make me sweat more, him situating both the large heaters so that I'd be training with them blowing directly on me definitely did.  He faced one so that it'd be blowing on me when I was doing my treadmill running and then he rearranged them so that when I did my shadow boxing and sandbag work I'd be training right smack dab in the middle of them.  He also insisted on keeping me as close to the heaters as possible during padwork but on a couple of occasions I felt as if my back was on fire.  Those heaters are hardcore!

I should note here that just yesterday one of the heaters totally melted the heck out of one of our juice bar stools, that's just how hot they get.  They pump out mad heat and though I found I did sweat more, I also found those heaters ate up my energy like it was nothing.  I've switched to heavy sandbag gloves just recently, so today's boxing left my arms exhausted and my whole energy completely spent with the added heat blowing on me.

In the late evening I geared up for weight training and so I put on the same training clothes I had worn during today's boxing.  Members who caught a whiff of me during training were quick to tell me I smelt but I already knew I smelt.  "That's the smell of hardwork", I told them, "You should try it", I joked.  Yes, I was smelly and yes it was nasty, but I also know I have less than a month to train hardcore for this fight.  I've got to give everything I've got for this fight -- it's all or nothing.

I didn't get out for my morning run today but I think I somewhat made up for it with today's treadmill runs that I included into both my boxing and weight training.  I capped today's training off with a brisk walk at about 2am.  I couldn't really fall asleep and Snickers had gone out of town to see his best bud in Suwon.  I decided I'd exhaust myself some more so that I could sleep easier but all that brisk walk really did was wake me up more with a wave of endorphins and excitement about being all that closer to my fight.

No comments: