As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

It Was a Training Overdose Kind of Day Today... Tuesday, February 24

Today's training included the following expected and totally expected training:

MORNING SPARRING -- unexpected
One of my former teammates texted me, telling me he was standing outside of Hulk's.  He wanted to train.  Correction, he wanted to spar with me.  He still trains with my former coach, Junior Mint, and because Junior Mint keeps him on a tight leash, he only trains with me when the club is closed because he doesn't want word to leak or pictures to get back to Junior Mint.  It's not a problem with me writing about it here because for starters 99.9% of those at my former club are Korean and my homepage is clearly filled with too much English for them to comprehend.  Also, it's not like I'm going to tell you who it is anyways.

MORNING BOXING AND WEIGHT TRAINING -- expected
A successful sparring session definitely fueled me with some awesome energy and so I just went with it.  I had taken a mean headbutting in the second round of sparring and had a bit of a headache consequently but I trained through it.  Did 10 solid rounds on the sandbag and then killed my legs with weight training.  Love, love, LOVE those tire flips and call me crazy but I'm even beginning to love burpees too.

EARLY AFTERNOON 100m SPRINT -- unexpected
This was definitely a forced sprint, a oh-my-gosh-don't-get-killed sprint and it was signalled by the fact that Pacquiao had escaped from the back doggie room.  I had just finished walking all three of my four-legged friends when suddenly Pacquiao turned and jetted out of the gate before I could close it.  Without even thinking I too instantly turned and ran.  Down the street I jetted, hoping he wasn't going to cross the big street at the top of the hill.  Pacquiao is like a greyhound when it comes to running, he goes all out and goes super fast.  He stopped at the very top of the hill and right as a car turned to come barrelling down it I scooped him up.  I know if I hadn't caught him he'd return, he always does, but he's a wild one when it comes to dashing out into the streets so he's kept on a tight leash... well, apparently a not-tight-enough one today.

LATE AFTERNOON  300m SPRINT and "WEIGHT TRAINING" -- unexpected
Hurt my dogs and I'll open a can of crazy on you like you've never seen crazy, but tease, feed or taunt my dogs, I'll chase you down.  That's exactly what happened today.  Seven students saw my dogs and decided to yell at them from the steps that lead up to the side doggie corridor.  When my dogs started barking I simply yelled for them to stop but they continued and I could hear them scratching at the glass doors.  The glass doors open to a set of outdoor stairs and then a green gate but I've been having troubles with the door lock lately so during the day it's left unlocked.  Today it was unlocked and as one of the boys decided to jump up to attempt climbing the gate as the dogs pawed and pawed at the doors, making the doors open somewhat.  I don't know what about a 47kg angry dog tells you to get a closer look and tempt your luck.  I yelled at the kid to jump down and when he did he looked right at me, grabbed the gate and shock it so hard, as if to punk me off...which it did.  I was ticked and it was then on like Donkey Kong.  I bolted through Hulk's, out the front door, and I chased those kids all the way up the hill and down the street to the traditional market.  I managed to grab one of them and then what started off as a bit of a tug-of-war/dag, I picked him up.  I was hulked out, for sure. Halfway back I noticed that most of his friends were carefully following behind and so I told them to tell them to come.   I made them all return to where they had just minutes ago stood taunting my dogs and told them to read the warning sign that is on the cage.  It basically says that they are responsible for any consequence that results from them either taunting, hurting or feeding my dogs.  The consequence for them today happened to be me chasing them down and making a public spectacle of them.  "Do this again", I told them, and the consequence will be me letting my dogs chase you down instead of me". 

LATE EVENING CROSSFIT -- unexpected
One of our late night Hulkies wanted to do my crossfit leg class that I had planned for today but didn't want to simply do it alone with me coaching him so he tempted me into joining him.  I'm easy to convince to train with when it's leg day like today.  I had already trained legs today and knew I'd be running tomorrow morning but I couldn't give up the chance to fully exhaust my legs with a friendly challenge between a Hulkie and myself.

No comments: