As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Yah for Work!!!... Monday, February 23

I've become one of those people you hate because they actually do deep-down-in-the-heart love their job.  Consequently, I'm one of those people perhaps you want to kick in the head because I'm glad the five day holiday is finally over.  It was five days too long and I was wanting it over and done with before it even started.  I don't need more holidays, I need more hours in my work day and less in my weekend.

This week students are on spring break for a week so they're back to training earlier on in the day and thus a crew of them greets us right at 2pm when we open the club doors for the day.  It's nice to have them back training earlier because I find it's easier for me to find the motivation to push myself harder when I'm training beside others. Today, however, Snickers headed out of town to help a potential sponsor and word is he will either be back late tonight or tomorrow during the day sometime. 

It was nice to have the club busting with members all training hard again but today there was an exceptionally high return of long-time-no-see members and even several new members.  I suppose everyone is feeling the guiltiness of overindulging during the Seollal New Year.  I love Korean food, absolutely love it but holiday food grosses me out.  The two big Korean holidays, Seollal New Year and Chusoek (Thanksgiving) are always marked with deep fried foods or over-the-top starchy carb foods, both of which I'm not interested in and my tummy doesn't necessarily do well with.  

With Snickers off on business, I managed the club alone but Kato had come in to help me with padwork.  Many of our members are either bigger than me or taller than me so it's quite damaging for me to do padwork with them, especially if they either know how to use their body weight to back their punches or if they hit hard but don't hit the pad accurately.  

It was nice to have Kato with me today during club hours but it was a complete pain-in-the-you-know-where having to clean the entire club by myself beforehand.  After Snickers left around 6am this morning, I couldn't sleep and by 8am I had decided to not sleep but instead get up and clean the club.  Ended up having to call off my morning run with Rocket on account that I had pretty much exhausted myself by the time 10am rolled around and I was going on only a few hours sleep.  

My day basically started at 6am and then I went full force until 4am. I had two members come late for training and one didn't leave till about 12:40am.  I then had the club towels to wash and hang up and an international business conference call at 2am regarding the Nigerian boxing team.  It was 3am my time but 7pm their time.  The call didn't last long but then the wheels in my head started turning in top speed so I sat down to prepare one of the things we had discussed in our phone meeting.  Lights out for me finally at 4am.

It was a 22 hour day on only 3 hours sleep.  And to think it was only the first day of the new work week.  So would I take back the above statement I wrote, about me loving my job? Absolutely not.

No comments: