As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Just This and That... Tuesday, March 3

The strange and deranged things we do for fun and find funny at the club no longer fazes our Hulkies, seriously, so it wasn't a surprised to them to have Snickers yell "think fast" and throw a frisbee at them.  We bought two frisbees at the SpoEx this past weekend so now we have 3 club frisbees, and we almost added a second skateboard to our list of random things at Hulk's.

One of the perks of running a business that has such an array of members is all the businesses they represent.  Among the many professions scattered among our Hulkies, we have a member who works at a local shoe store.  His store is pretty notorious for impressive sales and plentiful sales too but today I asked him about needing new runners.  I've been needing new shoes for awhile but it's just another expense among a list of many other things we have to get, buy or pay for.  Needs before wants, that's how it has always been but new runners for my marathon training are becoming more of a need than just a want right now.  I've been keeping track of how much mileage I've been putting on my runners.  I was told that I should replace my outdoor runners every 600-800km, so about every 3-6 months depending upon how often I run.  I've been trying to put in 40km a week with some weeks more and others less, so that puts me at 600km before the end of 4 months.  I've had my shoes well over 4 months and am definitely starting to feel the consequences of using and abusing the same pair of shoes over and over again.  Snickers is a total sweetheart in massaging my feet after my weekend long runs but I wake up sometimes with my heels throbbing.  It's definitely time for new shoes.  

So anyways, back to my Hulkie and his shoe store... got the mad hook up tonight.  After his training, he and I sat down at the juice bar computer and scrolled through the shoes on his online store.  I'm kind of a geek when it comes to my shoes and he found out just how much so when I insisted I first watch some YouTube video reviews about various shoes I was interested in.  A shoe isn't just a shoe and that upcoming 42km isn't going to feel the same in every shoe.  Some will help but many will hinder, ain't that the truth.  Finally picked out an appropriate shoe.  It's selling for $149 right now but, with my Hulkie hook-up, I'm getting it for only $60.  That's a pretty sweet deal.

In other news, I got kicked out of the Cheonan Facebook group page, how ghetto is that.  I got kicked out from this Korean-dominated group page because apparently I didn't understand their new rule of no business posting and posted the March issue of our club's newsletter.  I had posted it earlier on today and then someone posted a comment below it but it wasn't just any kind of comment.  It was a roll-the-screen-because-this-is-way-too-silly-long comment by some random member.  It was like an instant headache just looking at it so I didn't even bother to translate it in my head and make any sense of it.  The Facebook group page is basically just Koreans here who live in Cheonan and I've been posting our club's newsletter in it for about half a year now and, up until today, have never had a problem with it.  I responded to the comment saying that I was simply sharing my club's newsletter and that it was more of an invite to our events than trying to pull people into our club for business.  And what should have and could have been the end of that wasn't.  It evolved into this person private messaging me.  Sometimes when people make silly drama like this, I can't help but want to ask them "who ties your shoes for you?!"

No comments: