As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 24, 2015

One Fabulous Friday... Friday, April 24

It was a fabulous day today.

A former member rejoined the club and brought juice smoothies and bagels to toast the restart of his focus.  And ok, so sugary juice and starchy carb bagels aren't so healthy but they are a huge jump from what he could have brought and would have brought if he didn't happen to stumble across a MOST AWESOME discovery -- Uncle Coffee now serves bagels!!! This is a dangerously delish discovery.

The charlie horse I was sporting on my leg for the last 10 hours or so went away so I tempted fate and jumped back into high gear with my training -- treadmill warm-up and solid hour of weight training.  Not too sure on how I did it, perhaps with the push-ups and hanging leg raises, but halfway into my training I noticed I had blood splattered all over my sweater.  I had split my finger open, nasty.  Bandaged that bad boy up and kept on going.

Results for the 13th Gyeonggi Marathon got posted and both Rocket and I TOTALLY killed it -- I scored 6th place and Rocket got 10th.  They gave cash prizes to the top 5 place holders so I missed out on that but considering the 5th place female beat me by a solid 17 minutes, 6th out of 92 sounds pretty awesome.  When news of the rankings reached the ears and eyes of Hulkies, friends and sponsors, everyone was super proud of us and so happy.  I was told to pick out what I want for my prize by a certain someone and I think I've decided upon it.  I want to up my training and I think a Fitbit Charge HR is exactly what can help me do this.  It is a fitness gadget, a bracelet you wear that tracks your heart rate, sleep, calories burned, and activities.  I can sync it with MyFitnessPal phone application as well as MapMyRun application, two apps that I use almost every single day.  I am most interested in the heart rate feature of it because lately I've been questioning whether or not I'm really training as intensely as I should be and could be.  Take for example my marathon, my pacing was so much faster than my training runs, it was even faster than my short runs.  So was it the energy of the event or was I just not pushing it that hard during training?  Slap on my Fitbit Charge HR and now I'll be able to know for exact whether or not I'm hitting my target heart rate. 

I'm beginning to think I am a much faster runner than I know it.  I always say I can't run fast but can run far, maybe the opposite is true or maybe I can do both.  Today I did 2.15km on the treadmill at a pacing of 3:46min/km and felt fine.  Yesterday I killed it with 4km.  I would have gone longer today but it was just a warm-up for my weight training and I initially only wanted to sprint 1km.

Sparring Day tonight resulted in one boxer giving the other boxer a very bloody nose and almost knocking him out, ouch.  Usually our boxers step into the ring to spar with Snickers so he stays in the ring for the full two hours and calls in whomever to come spar with him.  These days Kato has been a second sparring opponent option available for our boxers to take on.  He is getting so good; it's hard for me to accept the fact that soon he will be going to the army.

I made it official today, Hulk's is making an official running team.  I have both Rocket and a new girl who are in on this with me, offering to help lead it, so I am super stoked about it.  I haven't yet figured out the details but we're planning to have a meeting about it to discuss it. 

Team Nigeria called me today, as did KBS.  I had a 30 minute follow-up interview with KBS today and so I am still waiting for their decision.  I am almost certain they will pick me for their documentary.  I have shared way too many juicey details and memories with them for them to not be interested in my story.  As for Team Nigeria, a few of my Hulkies asked today if Team Nigeria is still coming.  I really want this to happen but the legal complications of it are not only so new to me but so complicated.  None the less, it was reassuring to get a phone call from them today, telling me they will be emailing me the two new names of the replacement boxers I will have to do the new introduction letter for.  I don't mind the extra work, I really don't, I just really want them to come here.

No comments: