As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Flipside of Things... Saturday, April 25

It was a weird feeling after four months of training hard and slaving on this particular path every weekend to be now casually walking it.  Coffee in hand, Snickers' hand in my other hand, and us strolling along at a snail's pace like the other people we used to yell at to move out of the way so we could blaze on by.  One weekly walker recognised me, or at least she and her husband did a triple look at me because they weren't quite sure.  Walking the long run route today was nice but it was odd too in that I noticed things that I had never noticed before.  I knew the park had a farm animal zoo but I didn't know it also had a large fountain area.  We had picked a perfect day to walk the path.  The weather was beautiful, the sun was out, and the path was packed.  

A local group of volunteers had brought a group of handicapped individuals to enjoy the path so there were camera men and volunteer workers every where.  I met one girl who had put some Halloween rabbit ears over her required safety helmet, as to distract onlookers from feeling uncomfortable at the sight of her helmet.  I looked at her and commented to her that she looked like such a cute buddy and then she smiled so large and got all giggly.

Just last week I had slaved through my first marathon and just one week prior to that I was slaving away here on this path with Rocket.   Now I was walking it with others in wheelchairs, walkers and helmets and it was definitely a humbling experience.  I felt I had no right to complain about how hard my marathon was or the stress it had put on my body because everyday those around me today feel a stress unlike that which I could probably imagined.  I watched as a boy in a wheelchair got pushed by me, his hands unable to even spin his own wheels, and I wondered what life for him would be like if he didn't need that wheelchair.  Would he have ran that marathon with me? He probably could have kicked my butt based on the energy he sported with telling his helper to push him faster and faster. 

Here's something no surprising (or scatterbrained for that matter), I exercised today.  I hosted Free Train from 6-8pm but it ended up going way longer than that and more members came out to play -- play ping-pong and pool -- then actually train.  I was quite impressed though that one particular mini Hulkie, Apple, came out today.  Usually our mini Hulkies are MIA at weekend Free Train but I suspect the amazing monthly inbody results she earned this past week motivated her to keep up with her training.  Good for her!

No running outside today for me and no boxing but I did sprint a solid 2km, clocking a  3:56min/km pacing.  That was definitely quite the endorphin-booster for the heavy lifting I did during my weight training that followed.

Headed out to watch a couple of friends perform at a local comedy show downtown.  I'm definitely not one for crowds or for meeting new people but I did head there with a new friend, Lady Marvel, and by the end of the night I felt as if I had talked to almost everyone there.  Even one of the visiting comedians called me out in his set; he called me a "local celebrity".  It was flattering, I'd hardly call me that, but the call out instantly made me feel ultra shy.  Also got called out by someone to do an arm wrestle.  I most definitely wasn't going to participate in that though.  It's all in the wrist.  And speaking of being called out, at the end of the comedy show someone approached me from behind.  A long-time-no-see guy who was in town visiting and wanted to introduce me to his wife.  It was great to see him but there was definitely an odd moment when I went to go shake his wife's hand and the first thing she says was "I hear you used to date my husband".  Yuppers, that's right, she said that and yes I did used to date him.  It was one date though, no dating just one date.  We had a nice date in Seoul, a lunch date, and headed to the CoEx aquarium but I never did go on a second date with him because I had told him he was "too American for me".  He was Korean/American but definitely more American than Korean.  It's been 8 years since that one date and he still remembers me calling him "too American for me" but now we're able to laugh at it and with his wife too of all people.

No comments: