As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I Love Korea BUT "This is Korea"... Tuesday, May 26

I've never considered myself to be better than anyone but I sure as hell know I'm not as rude and dumb as some.

I feel like I'm in a Korean version of Mean Girls and the table they're not letting me sit as just so happens to be a table they set up right outside my boxing club, on my side of the street.  I should note here, if you refer to one of my above pictures, that it started out with them physically barricading in my scooter, hoping that I'd move it.

I wasn't going to move it and instead I was contemplating telling them in the most sarcastic manner possible that I was going to move it just as fast as they had moved that nasty couch of theirs... TWO MONTHS LATER!  They didn't even move that couch actually.  I think someone from the CGV movie theatre got fed up and took it upon themselves to deal with it.  Someone moved it and it wasn't the Mean Girls because when the Corner Godfather commented to them about it they said they were just as clueless about its whereabouts.

Snickers proved to be a nicer person than me though I still vouch from a business perspective I was the smarter one.  I'm not a nice person, I know, but then again I never ever said I was nice so that's peoples own mistake with assuming I was. [Enter a very sarcastic laugh here].  Nothing says "real professional" or "good for business" like having a few tables of drunk old men outside of our club all day and well up to closing, sipping on their beves and eating ramian (fried noodles) and overly greasy Korean-style pizza.  At first glance, people walking down the street assume they're all associated with our club which they are 100% totally not.  First of all, we don't have members that old training here and they sure as heck wouldn't be caught eating such food within my sight.

I think regular pizza at this point would be much healthier than what they're serving up over there.  They sent over a large plate of it to us today and it was snatched up by the mini Hulkies that were training at the time but I should note that not all of them agreed to eat it.  And you know it's got to be pretty bad when the penny-less high school boys who just about eat everything and anything their little hands can get a hold of refuse the offer.

Today's situation was a clear example of how age means power here and those who are older definitely hold the reins to such power.  I find it so annoying and am able to note one too many times when this power has been flexed, used and abused.  If those store owners were younger, there would be no drunk men eating greasy pizza on our side because they wouldn't have had the balls to set up tables and if they did Snickers surely would have shut them down.

...but this is Korea [enter my pure hate for the fact that that says it all right there].  

No comments: