As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, August 28, 2015

From Getting Beats to a Possible Job... Friday, August 28

Showed up for boxing today at 7:30am.

Ya, what about kicking the Friday off with some super early morning supports the whole TGIF mentality?!  Oh, I know. How about adding sparring to that and not just any sparring but 12 rounds with my coach -- a bigger, stronger, high ranked male boxer.

TGIF...
Thank God I'm Fighting.
Thank Goodness I'm a Fierce Fighter.
There's Gonna be Injuries, Fighter.
That's Good In-Fighting.

...???

...ya, so some of those work better than others.  After 12 rounds of sparring with an opponent 60lbs bigger than me you're lucky I can even spell at this point.

It was good.  Don't get me wrong it was hard and intense but it was good.  And it was just as frustrating as it was educational and challenging.  In the second and third round I took a mean body shot but the third round body shot to the liver left me needing a second or two to recover.  I bent over, put my hands on my knees and gasped for air.  That was rough.  I came back with a mean hook in the fifth round that so obviously got him but a jab in the seventh round left me looking at my nose in the mirror in between rounds, curiously checking to see if my nose was broken or even still on my face.

Showed up at weight training in the late afternoon looking swollen and bruised. "But it's just my nose", I told the manager, as if that made looking at my face any better or more comfortable.

Got offered a job on the spot, after I got a bit lectured about me boxing with a male opponent that is.  Apparently the club is minus one trainer now, a trainer that teaches a kettle bell class a few times a week.  The System manager asked if I could take the class.  I could and I would and I should but I think I can't.  I'm just now starting to stack up the classes at the boxing club and next week I have my first personal training client.  Things are going really great at the boxing club.  The ball has started to roll there and I don't want it to stop.  My schedule is all over the place right now but it all revolves around my boxing.  This is after all why I came to Canada.  Everything else has to take second place.

I would love to help them at System though, they have always been so good to me, but I really want to keep System as a kind of neutral place for me, a place where I am not really involved in anything beyond just doing my training.  I'm cool with those who box in the spinning room with me; I've met many boxing enthusiasts but I like to keep to myself beyond the little boxing crew I've got going on.  My agent works at System but beyond a few of my boxing buddies there no one really knows.  It's just a stress-free, drama-free safe zone for me where nothing is expected from me beyond respecting the general rules of the club and I can come and go as I please. 

Anyways, I told the manager I would have to think about it and get back to him about it.  To do it or not do it, that is the question now.

No comments: