As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, August 03, 2015

Praying for a Miracle for my Friend... Monday, August 3

With it coming down to the last two days of me being here in Korea, friends have been dropping by Hulk's to say their warm wishes, to tell me they'll miss me and to urge me to hurry back.  It's also meant a lot of friends have opened up and spilt their beans about things that they've held back on saying to me, for whatever reason.  One of those who spilt their beans was a good friend of Snickers' and I.

Today I was told that he discovered he had brain cancer.

He found out a couple of weeks ago but held off on saying anything to anyone but tonight I was told and it was as if someone had punched the wind right out of me.  Instantly I collapsed into the bench, put my hands over my mouth, and my eyes swelled up with tears.  A little while back he had noted that he was having trouble with his hands, steering his car had become difficult and so did simple things like tying his shoes.  He ended up going to the doctor about it, doing numerous tests, got the results and then kept the results a secret.

He's only 31 years old, a single guy who runs his own business, and he's way too inexperienced and innocent to have been thrown such a devastating curve ball.  I feel terrible for him, more so because he is single and I don't think he's particularly close with his family so I question his immediate support system and lack there of it.

Snickers reassures me that he'll get better but I think he's just trying to keep me positive because we've been told it's inoperable.  Nothing that happened today -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- even matters at this point because being told in the early evening of this terrible news really shocked me.  He's been staying in the hospital, has been there for a couple of weeks now, and tonight we went to go visit him after work but he was already asleep and his phone was turned off.  Stuff like this spooks the hell out of me because here is a care-free healthy guy who suddenly isn't anymore.  At the flick of the switch, or so it seems, his life took a sudden turn for the worse and it'll never be the same again.  

No comments: