As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 05, 2015

A Friend Crossing Africa... Monday, October 5

I decided to not write about my day today for this posting but to give some attention and due shout-outs to a trainer at System who has become a friend... an inspiration.  His name is Mario and he's pretty awesome but what he's about to do is more awesome than I think people can really wrap their head around, understand and respect.

On November 24th he's leaving to Africa for an adventure he has labelled "Crossing Africa".  Starting at Cape Town and ending up at Cairo, Eygpt, he's designated the next two years of his life to this solo expedition, crossing Africa. It's a 12,000km hike!  Now while I'm sure he's had his share of people who've labelled him crazy or flat out silly for wanting to take on such a task, I think it's pretty amazing.  To be doing something that is so grand, so extreme, so beyond what's expected, something that's so beyond your limits.  But is it beyond his limits?  Maybe but that's the whole point.  It's going to stretch his limits and raise them to a whole new level unlike anything else.

I took my share of comments, concerns, and criticism when I moved to Korea initially and I was only going there to teach English in Korea, a very safe country.  But for every two people who supported my decision to partake in this adventure, teaching in Korea, there was one person who disagreed with my move and a lot of them were very quick to voice their disapproval.  My move to Korea wasn't the only big decision that got me an overdose of disapproval and discouragement from friends and family.  There of course was me breaking off my engagement, staying in Korea, going pro with my boxing, getting married, starting my own boxing club, and now with me moving to Canada for the year.  So yes, I'm very used to making big decisions and having a reaction to my action being an ton of disapproval and discouragement from others.  But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop, hell no.  If anything that just adds fuel to my fire and drive to continue what I'm doing and I really hope my friend Mario grabs this idea too.

I know Mario's most definitely getting an earful from both sides -- those who support his adventure and those who don't.  I'm nervous for him, of course, but I absolutely refuse to be one of those people to discourage him.  I fought so hard against the haters so why would I want to become one of them?!  Exactly.  I will never be.  I support him, am encouraging towards him, and am excited for what he's about to step into.  

Lately he and I have been heading out together after my training at System for chicken swarma.  I like treating him because he's hilarious to talk to and I know I'm going to miss our jokes and chats when he's gone.  I hope he thinks of our chicken swarma time together and it brings a smile to his face during a hard moment when he's in Africa.  I told him I'm going to think of him every time I eat chicken swarma after he leaves for Africa but the truth of the matter is I already think of him every time I eat it now.  

No comments: