As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

A City of Angry Females... Wednesday, February 3

So if you haven't heard about it already, which you'd have to be seriously living under a rock in the deep bottom of the ocean if you haven't heard, but a pickup artist from the States is supposedly coming to Toronto this weekend and the ladies aren't liking it.  The men aren't liking it either nor is our city mayor actually and the mayor of two other Canadian cities.  

My first thought when I heard about this guy was "This is why people shot each other"!

I had first read about him when the girl outside Coach Brown and my post boxing local diner handed me a free Toronto Metro newspaper like she does every time I see her. Coach Brown and I entered the diner and I went to go flip to the back page horoscope section like I usually do.  However no sooner had I flipped the newspaper over to ruffle through it's pages but the front page picture caught my eye.  It was of a boxing ring full of what appeared to be local female fighters.  I was right.  They were fighters from Toronto Newgirls Boxing Club and they were protesting this so-called pickup artist from visiting Toronto.  

I was shocked at what I had read -- he's made a living on telling mean how to lure women to have sex with them and he's fighting to make rape within a private home legal.  To tell you the truth, I thought it was all a joke so I read it over again, looking carefully for some kind of fine print or punchline.

No fine print and no punchline.  This was a real story.

The story had hit the press and then hit the street but no sooner did it hit the street and greet my eyes but so did it greet the eyes of many of my friends.  Consequently, so many of my friends flooded my Facebook account and cellphone with messages regarding this story and this continued long into the evening.  At it's most heightened part, me along with another female boxing club coach had started to discuss the idea of us joining the Toronto Newsgirl Boxing Club in protesting against this particular pickup artist.  Our disgust in him fueled the discussion and next thing I knew it I too was making a mental list of who I could call out and join us in the protest.  It was going to be three boxing clubs, all ran by women and joined by the fierce female fighters from it.  But then we heard it got canceled.  Of course there is speculation that perhaps this cancelation is just a decoy or a hoax, a means of getting the angry crowd attendance that it's been building up.  I guess we will see what unfolds with this tomorrow.

No comments: