As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Monday, April 11, 2016

A Late Start but a Perfect Ending... Monday, April 11

I didn't do anything today because I felt off.  It was a mix between being addicted to caffiene and battling that and having some crazed fan infest my thoughts (and battling that too).  It's crazy how someone you've never met can have such an effect on you, how they can creep into your head and control your thoughts.  Even with my ringers off, Facebook notifications disabled and Facebook messenger totally off my phone, I couldn't shake him.  I knew he'd be messaging me and whenever I choose to return to to using the Internet he'd be there.  Whether it was messages on Instagram or Facebook, or comments on my YouTube, I know I'd be bombarded with him.

I had woken up today around 2:35am and found myself struggling to swallow so I headed off to find a 24hr Shoppers Drugmart.  I hadn't gone to bed so late but I knew I hadn't slept good.  I haven't been sleeping well off and on this week and I know there is definitely a correlation between it and having a crazed fan that just won't leave me alone.

I didn't do anything today but sleep.  Even Coach Perez told me to stay home and sleep it off.  I slept the entire day.

Around 5:45pm I decided that I wasn't going to do this anymore; I wasn't going to play the victim and let some creepy dude who lives only God knows where freak me out and stop me from doing what I have to do. 

I have to train.  I have a fight in May.

I showed up at Clancy's Boxing.  I nervously showed up because Clancy's is now my go-to place for fans to mail me stuff and I didn't know if he had sent me anything.  No package was waiting for me.  It was both a relief and disappointment.

My team training ended around 9:40pm and then I stood around talking with Coach Ricco and some of our crew from training.  One of the gals was super sweet in driving me to the subway station so that helped a lot.  I didn't have enough room in my bag to pack extra dry clothes for after training so I did the 40min hike home in sweat-soaked clothes.  I was by far the smelliest on the subway!!!

All I did today was travel out to Clancy's for team training.  

I was warned that this won't be the last of the crazed fans that I will attract, great, but that I need to learn how to better control my thoughts and guard them more carefully.  Regardless of if I can do that -- get my head in the game and keep it there -- is irrelevant to fact that this fight is going down next month.  Somewhere in Mexico there is a female pro boxer training with the anticipation of taking me on in the ring whether or not I am ready.  I will be ready...just not today.  Thankfully I was able to shake myself out of this blahness and get out to team training; it did wonders for my soul, to know that my crew there really has my back. 

No comments: