As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 15, 2016

A Night Out at the Fights... Friday, April 15

With a VIP ticket and hand and a fun friend by my side, we headed into the Berkeley Church for the Rugby Rumble -- an event that took various rugby players, trained them in boxing and then set them in the ring to fight. 

The Rugby Rumble, Agency Wars, and Brawl on Bay... all events where those fighting aren't actually fighters.  Instead, for the most part, they've been only training at the boxing club for a bit, usually just for the event. It's hilarious, it's messy, it's entertaining, but sometimes it is down right impressive.  Their energy is always awesome though.  You have to keep in mind that these "fighters" aren't actual fighters and so the boxing skills tend to be amateur and made up on the spot but it surely makes for a great evening out.  I always have mad props for anyone who steps into the ring because it does take guts and a certain level of craziness to do so.  Some of them have got "the itch" though; they've fallen in love with the sport and with stepping into the ring.  You can spot the ones who have the itch because while their opponent steps in with knocking knees and that ghostly pale look on their face, they jump into the ring with such excitement.  It definitely is an adrenaline rush for many.  

The most interesting fight of the night for me was between two sisters -- twin sisters actually.  Born about thirty minutes apart, a bit different in height and in weight but non the less the same in energy to kick the other sister's butt.  Nothing says sibling rivalry like lacing up some gloves and taking it into the ring!

No comments: