As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Alittle Added Stress to Spice Things Up... Wednesday, April 27

And just as word got out that the WBC declared it won't do business here in Ontario, won't sanction any fights, until safety regulations change, I got word that one of the very rules they're fighting is one I'll have to be abiding by in Mexico.

They say the Ontario Athletic Commission's safety rules fall below industry standard and I agree.

Two weeks ago a Mexican fighter, Guillermo Herrera, fought here and collapsed after his 8 round fight.  He had suffered a brain bleed during his fight and has been in the hospital ever since and the WBC is stating the fact that here in Ontario fighters are required to weigh-in on their actual fight date is to blame.  Fighters drop weight, we often drop mad weight, it's no big secret.  I think perhaps the push to make fighters weigh-in on fight day was intended to discourage fighters from fighting outside of a weight category that was so different than theirs.  But while this may discourage some, many fighters are still doing it regardless so the least they can do is protect them via giving them a day, like other provinces and other countries, to let their body recover from the strain of cutting weight.  

I learned today that in Mexico City the same rule applies -- I will weigh-in on fight day.

No comments: