As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

An Extended Sponsorship and Sponsors... Tuesday, April 12

Coach Perez says "stay away from weight training" but I just can't resist pumping that iron!  I could only hold off for so long, from not weight training that is.  Coach Rico does some strength and conditioning in the last half hour of our team training on Mondays but I wanted more.  

Must...weight... train.... it keeps me sane!

OK, so maybe that's the role of coffee in my life but I do love my weight training!!!  And I especially love my weight training over at System Fitness.  So that's exactly where I headed tonight -- System.  I use to go there 5-6 days a week but now it's been only once or twice in the past two weeks.  I tried to take Coach Perez's suggestion to lay off the weights and conserve my energy and efforts for running and boxing only but I don't know, I still believe I can incorporate my weight training into my training so my boxing benefits from it.  I just can't be lifting heavy and killing it on leg days when I do though.

Showed up at System and it was like a big long-time-no-see reunion.  

Dropping word of my upcoming fight in Mexico worked wonders with management tonight.  When I first came to Canada I had agreed to come here for a year as a sponsored athlete fighting out of Korea.  System's owner reached out to me and offered me a free membership for the year, to help me out.  Well, tonight when I told the manager that I have a fight coming up he was so happy for me; he told me he'd extend my membership for another year!!!  I can't even begin to tell you how awesome that was to hear.  To know that I'm supported by a place that has been such a big part of my life even before I left for Korea, wow, it's pretty incredible.  

With my fight a month away, there is definitely things that I have to get going on to prepare for it, one of which is my fighting uniform -- my boxing trunks.  I sat down today to search online where I could buy them and go about getting them designed.  It might actually be easier, faster and cheaper for me to order them from Korea.  I want some Korean font on my trunks.  I was thinking about getting the Korean phrase we use at Hulk's printed on them.  In terms of sponsors, it's not official yet because I have to ask them if I can put their company name on my trunks and how they want their name presented, but I have a few sponsors I would proudly love to sport on my trunks, like Girls Just Wanna Box and System.

No comments: