As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, April 18, 2016

My Feet are on F-I-R-E... Monday, April 18

I blurted out to Coach Perez during shadow boxing today that my feet were on fire; I could feel the blisters forming on the bottoms of my feet.  He responded with "Ya, because now you're really boxing!"

Each coach trains their fighters differently and their own style of fighting is ultimately revealed in what they stress and focus on.  Coach Perez likes a lot of movement in the ring -- lots of head movement and feet movement.  I worked the ring for four rounds of shadow boxing, focusing mainly on moving around as much as I could with my head and feet.  Lots of pivoting, changing directions suddenly , weaving, and slipping.

Yup, blisters definitely formed on my feet. When I got home and took my shoes and socks off I had a massive bubble on each of my feet.  My boxing boots are already somewhat damaged but now they're going to take a total beating at this rate.  I'm a starving athlete, I can't afford new boots.  I'll be stepping into the ring just to pay for the equipment I kill during my training. I thought I had a potential sponsor that was going to help me get new equipment but that feel through. 
New equipment needed:
1.  16oz sparring gloves
2.  12oz heavy bag gloves
3.  Head gear with a nose bar
4.  High-top boxing boots
5.  Groin protector
6.  Game trunks
I talked to Snickers on the phone tonight and he has agreed to buy me my game trunks for my fight in Mexico.  Now I have to design them, pick the colours, and figure out what sponsors to get printed on them and where.  I also will have to approach my sponsors and tell them I'll be putting their name on my trunks.  They may have preferences with the wear and how their name will be placed on them.  Snickers offering to get them handmade and printed in Korea helps out so much!

No comments: