As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Focus is Definitely On... Thursday, April 28

I'll admit it, I had a bit of a minor panic attack when I realized the other day that I was exactly a month out from my fight day in Mexico.  The wave of anxiety was only all that higher because of the realization that fight day is also weigh-in day.  I was writing on my wall calendar when the panic hit me.  I sprawled out on my blanket, closed my eyes, and told myself to breath.  The panic passed, it always does but it also always hit me at the one month out mark so it was to be expected.  Just didn't realize on that day that it was the actual mark.  I had just labelled May 27th "fight day".  I then proceeded to count the days going back from that date, marking in the numbers on the calendar. That's when I realized it was exactly one month out.  

The panic doesn't last long but it always hits me.  Then comes the excitement which this time around meant I screamed like a little girl and wore a smile from ear to ear.  

One month away... less than one month away now.

The inital one month out panic is over, the excitement is here but the determination and focus has only skyrocketed.  Now it's time for the intense dieting and training needed to really get my head in the game.  Now I finally have a more defined goal.  It may keep me up at night with butterflies and me pondering over that day's training but it also wakes me up in the morning with a purpose to the day, a focus.

No comments: