As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Toronto's Boxing Community... Friday, April 29

As I took the program off the front counter, I looked and noticed there were three female bouts on tonight's card.

Red, a female fighter who has become a friend, was fighting.
Two young 10 year old female fighters were competting.
Mandy, an Olympian qualifier for Rio, was also fighting.

As a female fighter, I most definitely feel more supported and encouraged with my sport than I did in Korea.  While telling people in Korea I boxed, I was always responded with "why?!", "...but you're so pretty", and of course the most annoying of responses, "real women don't box".  But here in Canada, it's so completely opposite.  That's not to say that I don't get people joking around about my looks but it's different.  In Korea they think boxing will make my face ugly whereas here in Canada they joke about my nose looking so good for a boxer who has boxed for so long.  I also joke back and say, "good insurance and a good surgeon -- it looks better than it works".  Every fighter I talk to has his or her training tip they want to share with me whereas some have come right out and said they either want to spar with me or personally train me for a day.  You have to love their enthusiasim, it's a refreshing change from the responses I got in Korea.

The boxing community here is pretty solid and it feels somewhat similar to the boxing community in Korea in some ways but it's also so different.  Fighters and coaches here definitely get more respect, that's for sure.  I find the boxing community is tighter here, that's the big difference I've noticed.  There are the expected big name fighters and promoters that come out to events such like tonight and then there are fans and even photographers that have become common faces at them too.  You're not stuck looking into the crowd for a familiar face because you're always greeted by familiar faces -- fellow fighters, former fighters, and whatnot.  Tonight I met another female fighter.  We follow each other on Instagram and Facebook.  I instantly spotted her in the crowd and when I approached her we both greeted each other with a warm hug and sweet smiles.  

No comments: