As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Love for Affirmations... Tuesday, May 24

Affirmations, short little sayings, phrases, that can motivate you, inspire you.  They affirm a belief.  They support an idea that can challenge your thinking, change your thinking or simply more positively and more strongly support your opinion.

I love affirmations....

"Better than yesterday" was an affirmation that I took on as my own personal motto and then incorporated it into my business, Hulk's Boxing.  I can apply it to all aspects of my life, not just my training. 

Trigger words are another thing I'm also interested in.  They can have a positive or negative correlation to something but for me of course all the trigger words I focus on are to better myself, are positive ones.  "Mango" is my trigger word in boxing. It relaxes me before I fight, calms me.  It was something I picked out after reading about trigger words in a sports psychology book called "Mind Gym".  Excellent book by the way; I can't recommend it enough.  Trigger words can also be trigger pictures, as in it doesn't have to be necessarily a word or words but instead a picture that triggers a positive feeling or emotion.  For me, a trigger picture is that of a cherry blossom tree which is why I have one tattooed down the one side of my back.  

I was asked about some of the things on my gear today at sparring hence me jotting down some ideas about them here.  Just a random post today, nothing so in depth.

No comments: