As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Abnormally Different... Friday, May 13

I took the night off of training, to do what "normal people" do but didn't really know what that meant so I sat down on a bench in the mall to figure it out.  

"Forget this", I told myself, "I rather be training".

And it's true, I much rather had trained than take the night off training.  I had boxing in the afternoon and killed it at Hardknocks but I was anticipating heading off to Clancy's for team training.  Only one problem, I laid down for a simple afternoon nap and woke up way too late.  I woke up with only 30 minutes to get to the boxing club; it takes me a solid hour.  I could have gone weight training at System but I knew Coach Madman would be killing me on legs tomorrow and I already killed it on upper body late last night.

And then my night took a most different turned.

I got off the bus and there he was, my ex.  But it wasn't just "an ex"; it was my exfiance who I had broken up with about 10 years ago.  What was suppose to be "just" a drink turned into several hours of chatting and giggling.  I was shocked at just how much he remembered about us and his visits to Korea to see me.  I've got a memory like a goldfish so I was impressed.  Over ten years have passed since he and I were a "us".  We both have moved on and time has matured us both so it nice to bring up things that perhaps many moons ago would have been super sensitive and off limits.  A lot of air definitely got cleared, no hard feelings are there, and I even met some of his friends.  I wasn't introduced as the exfiancee but they suspected something and were sweet to me.  

It wasn't the night I had anticipated but it also definitely wasn't a night I'd say most "normal people" encounter.  Such is my life; always something interesting around the corner.  Perhaps the fact that it's Friday the 13th had something to do with it... hahaha. Nah, it's just me.

No comments: