As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Social Media as a Means of Branding Myself... Thursday, May 5

I came to Canada with about 1,200 friends on my Facebook then I launched a Facebook fan page and that mixed with all my public appearances at various boxing events has skyrocketed my "friends" list. 

Social networking here in Canada is my ticket to getting sponsored for boxing and for my Second Dream, and I'm trying to work it as best as I can.  I never had Instagram until I moved to Canada and now I'm working on a second YouTube channel -- one just for my boxing.

As of today I have over 1,900 friends, or should I say "friends".  Many of them I don't even know, have never actually met and may never meet but we have a common link -- we all love boxing.  The love of boxing is very much alive and well and the proof in that is in how many "mutual friends" those asking to friend me share with me.  And while most of my Facebook friends/fans are located in either Korea or Japan, ever since I have agreed for this fight in Mexico I've been getting a lot of friends from down south.  I think it's safe to say I've established myself here in Canada as a pro boxer so I am always getting friend requests from those also in the boxing community here in Canada.  Attending live fights and other boxing-related functions means always running into and being approached by those who have me as a Facebook friend but have yet to actually met me.  

For the most part is if someone shares a certain x number of "mutual Facebook friends than I'll add them to my page.  I add them and then I send them an invite to like my Facebook fan page.

This week alone my Facebook fan page has received 74 new likes.  That's a lot when you consider how young my page still is.  I have yet to hit the 500 mark but I'm aiming for it to go past 1000 once I return with successful news from my fight in Mexico. 

No comments: