As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Sweetness of Sparring

Was personally invited by Coach Adrian from Jamestown Boxing to come spar a particular female fighter who is wanting to step into the ring for official fights.
She stands at about 5ft and weighs roughly 105lbs but this lady is fierce.
They call her Killer B.
And Killer B has a sidekick, her daughter -- Eve of Destruction.
Jamestown Boxing is a small club, a new club, but they've got plenty of additional space in the basement that they're reinventing.  Till then though, they're doing pretty good with their use of space.  I loved how they used the back alley as a part of their circuit.
That's the Executioner over there, waving at me.  We made him sit there because he was eating bacon, eggs and hash browns and with me cutting weight and others trying to also lose weight, it was pure peer pressure to our noses!
The girls-only class in progress.  Power to the females!
Then it was my turn to step in the ring and have a go at Killer B.
I stung her with my aim... my dead aim.  
Like that?!  Me trying to sneak in my fighter name and playing upon hers?!
I'll always have much respect and admiration for anyone who steps into the ring.  I know it was a big deal to Killer B to have me come spar with her and I really appreciated the opportunity to pose a challenge to her in the ring so when we finished sparring I hugged her and then spun her around.

No comments: