As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, May 06, 2016

Unexpected Awesomeness... Friday, May 6

I'm a starving athlete, it's no secret and it's a line I'm always letting slip out of my mouth. 

I need more supplements.
I need a refill of supplements to replace those I've used up.
I need more equipment.
I need new equipment to replace the old equipment I've worn down.
I need more food.
I need food to replace the food I've already eaten.

I need a lot of things, a lot of things my total lack of money restricts me from buying but today was a good day, a fabulous day actually, because I was blessed with some most unexpected but much needed supplements, some food, and even some clothes!!!

Everyone at Hardknocks thought I was nuts today, I'm convinced of it.  I've been taking this particular pre-workout supplement for the past four days and it's been doing wonders for not only kicking my midday slump to the curb but also keeping me energized throughout my intense training.  I only take it for my boxing, not sure if I can sleep if I take it for my late night weight training.  I box during the week around midday but 12 noon is when I feel the worst.  Whether it's because I'm crashing from the caffeine high from my morning coffee or whatever, I cant quite pin point it and I show up at boxing feeling already a bit punch drunk and half in the bag.  However not anymore, I am so happy to say!!! This stuff has really kicked things up a notch for me.  Unlike other pre-workout supplements that leave me jittery or anxious feelings, this stuff makes me feel so incredibly refreshed, like I've just had a cold shower.  Mind you, it also makes me super chatty and ultra giddy and those at Hardknocks have commented about it.  I got Coach Perez to take some yesterday and he said it made him feel a bit sick to his stomach; good thing I didn't quite give him a full dosage.

Today I met with a special friend of mine, he's a manager at a fitness club downtown.  I was in the area so I thought I'd drop by to say hi before I headed off to boxing.  While talking, he asked me what I was doing downtown.  I had come down to GNC to check out their supplements and price out what I needed.  I couldn't afford any of it so I left.  He then asked me what I needed.  "I really need some more BCAAs", I told him and with that he opened up his desk drawer, pulled out a container of top notch BCAAs and told me I could have it.  I reached out and took the container, smiled, said thank you, and then sat there hugging it.  I was so happy and so grateful.  I've been really needing this for the past month but now I have it.  

I dropped by Clancy's tonight. My anticipation was to train with the team but I had got a phone call from another sponsor who had asked me to come in to talk to him.  No sooner did I arrive but then I had to leave but before I did, the manager of Clancy's loaded my bag up with some of their GJWB wear.  GJWB stands for Girls Just Wanna Box and it's a girls-only training division of Clancy's Boxing.  It's all about empowering us females and it's been really successful in its mission so walking home with a bag of their clothing was such a great way to end the day.

No comments: