As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

A Meeting at the Beach... Sunday, July 10

One of the things I really lacked in Korea was a close knit group of friends -- friends that message me just simply to check up on me, share jokes or say hi.  Friends that I feel comfortable enough to open myself up to, expose my vulnerabilities and share more than "setup moments" with.  

In Korea my friends became clients and clients became friends.  Business was pleasure and my pleasure was business but there was nothing separating the two.  It ended up turning into all business for me and because of this I couldn't open up about Snickers to others or really share things.  Snickers was my business partner and friends were clients.  I didn't want to jeopardize my business for the sake of pleasure.  I was always in work mode.

But now I'm not in Korea.  I have a beautiful close knit of friends here in Canada.

Captain Bowtie has become one of my closest friends here and almost every Sunday we spend the afternoon together so it's no surprise that today I met up with him.  He's got a cute geekiness about him and he's always giggling and joking.  We keep each other young and keep each other laughing.  But he's also smart and he thinks outside of the box, I like that.  

Today the Captain and I headed to the beach, a favourite hotspot of ours but we went today to meet someone, someone I've labelled special to me.  This special person was playing volleyball and had brought along his four-legged girl, Jackie.  Jackie is part pit but all sweet.

No comments: