As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Power of Words

Attended my Korean language exchange group meeting today and geeked out there.
The answer in my head and the answer that came out of my mouth for the first question were totally different but with my first language partner today we definitely did get more intense and indepth with our answers.
Q:  What was the number 1 thing you want[ed] to do in Toronto?
A: Hug my friends and tell them I'm sorry I wasn't honest about what was really happening to me in Korea.... and then go buy natural peanut butter, hahaha.
This by far caught all my attention tonight -- a girl sitting on the corner writing poems.
Note her sidekick and the t-shirt he's wearing; so funny but appropriately fitting.
She writes poems on request and then you offer her a donation based on how much you like it so I requested a poem.  When she asked me what I wanted her to write about, I told her I only had the title for it -- "My Second Dream".  I figured she'd assume it was a dream as in something in my head that occurs during sleep but that's not what I was referring to.  My first dream was Hulk's Boxing and now I'm working on my Second Dream.
I won't share what she wrote for me, you'll have to give her a donation for your own poem, but I will say this that the first line gave me goose bumps.
I gave her $10 for that poem and it was worth every penny.

1 comment:

Mrs. Kim said...

I wouldn't give money to anyone who couldn't spell weird properly.