As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 08, 2016

The Truth Always Comes Out... Friday, July 8

One of my friends from my childhood days is writing a book about me, a comic book actually.  I've mentioned about it before, in previous entries, but today we met to talk about it more and to see what has progressed so far.  I'm still super flattered that this is happening but just the other day I thought of an amazing way to incorporate my friend's work into my product line that I'm launching.  It's genius.

During our meeting about the book, he kept on reassuring me that if anything is too personal, I want omitted, want to add or whatnot than I had the freedom to say so.  It's a comic book based on my life but it's also has some fictional writing to it.  A year ago when he first approached me about it I would have wanted it to be more fictional than non fictional and not personal at all but now I'm definitely leaning the other way. Maybe this would be the appropriate medium to finally tell my story, to really reveal what happened to me in Korea and how my life wasn't what I let people think it was.  It was good, bad and ugly, but I become quite the professional actor at down playing the ugly and keeping it secret.  "I'm a boxer", I once told my friend.  "Reminding them of that stops them from why the bruises and puffy eyes".  And it was true.  

I think I'm ready to tell my story.

No comments: