As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Feeling My Purpose a Bit More... Monday, August 22

Regardless of what anyone wants to say about Cabbagetown, I love it here, and the more and more I meet and greet my neighbours and those in the community the more and more I feel like this is where I am best suited. 

Cabbagetown is a bit rough around the edges, sure, but it doesn't try to be anything beyond what it really is. It's not full of pretentious yuppies and their Lululemon like Yorkville down the street nor is just a cluster of one ethnicity like many chunks of downtown are, like Chinatown and Little Italy. Cabbagetown is a collage of many nationalities and none of us are really rich. Some of us are having a harder time than others, whether that be financially, socially, or whatnot, but we're all here trying our best to survive. We're a community of people who loiter around the local grocery store, hang out by the two community pools, and invest the local school yard with our family and friends long into the late evening. We're a community that is real. 

I feel like I have a place here and that was always my goal of whatever I got myself involved in -- I wanted my absence to be just as felt as my presence. I want to have a place of purpose. This week I've be bombarded with random feelings of purpose here. I think I'm going to be here for awhile and I think I like that. I may even love that.

No comments: