As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Irony, Blessing or Just The Worst Thing Ever... Friday, August 5

Many of my close friends have come to realize I've been struggling with Korea -- trying to figure out if I'm better off letting go of it so that I can forward or if perhaps it's ner of letting go but letting in and it's where I should be.  I still very much consider Korea to be my home and the longer I stay here in Canada the more and more I question if here is where I'm suppose to be.  Maybe my place is Korea.  A rather ironic situation happened today though with regards to Korea.  I'll admit what happened today drove me rather bonkers and stressed me out hours upon hours after it happened but I'm trying to see the irony in it and look at it as perhaps a blessing in disguise.

Today my Korean phone started to act up.  First it was a password that didn't work, then it froze, and then my wifi didn't work.  I went so far as to get my roommate to call the Internet provider for our apartment, thinking it was something up with our wifi, and then I went to the phone repair shop.  The dude at the shop advised me to save all my photos and important data, then to do a factory reset.  I figured it was a last ditch option only but I had tried so many other things so that's exactly what I did, I did a full reset. 

One problem, I totally forgot to save the phone numbers.

ALL of my phone numbers are lost... all eleven years of numbers, yikes.

And if losing all my numbers wasn't bad enough, because my number hasn't technically been in use for a year now, downloading apps like WhatsApp and KakoaTalk doesn't work either because how do you use those communication apps... they send you a text message to your phone with a numercic code.  But if your number isn't working then them sending you a text doesn't work either.

And there you have it, irony...or a blessing in disguise.  I guess it depends on how you look at it.  Nothing says I need to stop contacting Korea like accidentally erasing all my Korean contacts, making it impossible to do so.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's Kismet, not irony!!

It's the universe telling you not to go back to Korea. Take it from me, I used to do what I wanted and not heed the subtle and sometimes loud hints from the Universe and I always suffered the consequences.
After all these years of struggling I listen, now. All the universe has to do is whisper and I listen....has made my life less stressful and more purposeful. I eliminated the what ifs, if I had only listened to my instinct, what if I hadn't made that decision, what if I hadn't done that...etc. By listening to the Universe you eliminate the crap and mind torture over mistakes you made. Don't force it. If the Universe says stay, stay. You will realize you made the right decision later on, trust me.

Just saying.....

A Long Time Reader