As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Korea Always Finds Me... Monday, August 29


Monday always kicks my butt -- laps at the pool and team training at Clancy's. I'm always left feeling used and abused by the time midnight rolls around and I almost never am up to even see the clock strike twelve. Today I also had an important business meeting to tend to, a meeting with my casting agent and I had to meet up with my roommate downtown because she had forgotten her key.

At training tonight I was approached by a young female boxer who had heard of me. And, as it turns out, she knows of me through her coach in Korea, my friend Joe. She's a Chinese girl who had lived in Korea for two years and had trained at my friend's boxing club in Seoul. Joe, like me, is also a foreign boxer, and also like me he too had opened up a boxing club in Korea. It was so wild training alongside her. I know to others it was just a cool turn of events but for me it was really awesome. I love being here in Toronto, Canada but I miss Korea every single day. I think my dad is the only one who really gets it to, how I can be "back home" and yet feel so alone and disconnected here. He tells me all the time that he worries for me and I respond by telling him I don't feel so alone here now that Balboa has joined me. I do miss Korea; it doesn't mean that I want to be back there though. But anyways, training alongside that girl today was like having a little piece of Korea with me. I miss Korea every single day but so often I feel that Korea finds its way to me, its way into my new found life here in Canada. Today Korea found me via a Chinese boxer who once trained with my Canadian friend out in Seoul, South Korea, and that was pretty awesome. It's not such a big world after all and today Korea visited me here in Canada.


No comments: