As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Rocking my Laet 30's... Thursday, August 11

I'm a day late celebrating Happy Ice Cream Wednesday, so sue me.

Better late than never, right?!  Hmmm... maybe.

Any later celebrating it this week and I would have been two days late.

When on route down to meet Captain Bowtie for our late night, day late Happy Ice Cream Wednesday celebration, I met this young guy.  I had got off the subway at Spadina when he got off too, turned to me and complimented me on my style.  "I like your style girl", was all he said but that was all it took to initiate a conversation between us as we walked up the stairs of the station.  He told me how he was on route to a party at a local bar that is notorious for oozing with university students.  I assumed he was of university age too but asked.  He's 20.  Yup, university age.  I laughed loudly, put my arm around his shoulder and then told him I was old enough to be his mom.  I then told him how old I was and he responded with "age is just a number".  Yes and no.  Age is just a number but it also comes attached with a certain level of maturity.  I for one will be the first to say I can be super silly and immature but the experience I bring to the table as that of a 36 year old as oppose to a 20 year old is so much different and consequently my maturity has been developed to reflect such experiences and lessons learned having experienced them.  

I was flattered that he thought I was much younger but I don't think I'm old enough to be overly flattered.  People always say I come across as being so much younger than what I am but maybe I'm what 36 is suppose to look, feel and act like.  Maybe other 36 year olds who haven't aged well or for what ever reason act beyond their years are the ones killing the idea of what 36 is suppose to be.  All I know is that I'm proud to be 36 and am all that prouder because now I'm in the second half of my 30's.  I'm in no rush to reach 40 but my new way to answer people when they ask me how old I am is to tell them "I'm close to my 40's".  I'm going to rock that answer.  Drop jaws, leave them thinking, and be proud of my age.

No comments: