As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Starving but Still Going at It... Tuesday, August 16

My boot camps are up and running but many of my potential boot campers have been inquiring about me personal training them when I'm really trying hard to stick to the class training.  There's a different kind of dynamics to training with a group as oppose to one-on-one.  I love stirring up friendly competition among the ladies and there's definitely a different kind of energy with team training; it's more fun for everyone including me.

Investigating, brainstorming, and researching out ways to make my Second Dream a physical reality continues but it's hard. It's a work in progress and because I'm doing it all alone it's harder than I can even begin to explain.  Korea may have been the country of opportunity for me, providing me with the perfect platform for me to launch my but Canada has become like a country of sensory overload for me.  There's so much it's too much and I don't really know where to start.  "Keep the faith" I continually tell myself.  I made my dream come true once so I can do it again.  It's going to take time though, extra time.  This isn't Korea.  Things move much slower here in Canada.

In the mean time though, while I juggle hosting my boot camps with getting in my training and working on my Second Dream, I'm trying to find extra work, as in paid work, to help make ends meet.

And I've been offered a whole whack of sketchy jobs, let me tell you, ranging from cheap pay but long hours to don't-tell-your-mother, embarrassingly wild and far out there.  The most recent of job offers required me to ring the doorbell and look up into a camera before they then patted me down and let me in to talk to them.  Strange.  That particular job offered me the potential of making $60-$100 an hour but at the cost of leaving my morals and self worth at the front door.  I rather do personal training thanks and get an honest $50-$60 an hour.  The strangest of random jobs I've picked up is one that paid me $160 for two hours of work because the guy thought my my "insider's scoop" for an international importing business he's looking to start was genius.

What I'm really trying to land though is a management position or manager assistant position at a fitness club; I'd even go for any position at a gym actually.  I really want to learn the behind-the-scenes stuff on how a gym in Canada is owned and operated.  It'd be like getting paid to go to business school in my eyes except the school is an actual gym where I can get first hand hands-on experience.  I applied for two gym positions one of which I'm definitely leaning towards and would take it in a heart beat even though I think the pay is low and the hours aren't so good.  The location is perfect for me but more importantly it's a females-only fitness facility and that's right in line with my Second Dream.  The second gym called me within hours of me applying and wanted me to come right in to meet them.  It's quite a distance from my house though and I know this particular gym has recently unionized so that's a turn off for me.  I want to attach myself to a local gym, a one-location kind of gym, not a chain gym. 

And then there's Clancy's Boxing.  They're hoping to branch out their boxing club, make it a chain, and I would love to take on responsibility for their second location.  That's a while away though, at least a year probably more.  Until then, grocery money needs to be made and I'm desperate for some new boxing training gear, like gloves and boots, and really need a new pair of runners too.

I'm still a starving athlete, dang.

1 comment:

Why am I here??? said...

Unionized? or franchised?