As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Busy, Busy Little Me... Friday, September 9

It was a busy day – a wild, busy day. It was a day that was way too busy for me to even try to write it all out in one long, thought-out homepage entry so for the sake of trying to touch on some of the craziness of it all I'm just going to spit it out...  

Opened the club today which meant I had to be there, ready and open by 6:30am. I was ready by 6:15. 

Held a baby. Yes, this is a big thing for me because I hadn’t even held my nieces when they were younger and not because I was in Korea but even when I was visiting I just didn’t want to hold them. I’m not “baby-friendly”. Today one of my clients brought her son, a 8 month old beautiful boy. He started to cry and someone told me to pick him up. It was either pick him up or listen to his crying. I didn’t want either but settled for the better of the two… so I picked him up. Don’t get me wrong, I held him like he was some kind of contaminated specimen – put my hands on his side and held him away from my body, as far as I could. 

Attended a wedding at my church but there was that awkward moment when I realised maybe I wasn’t invited to the reception. I didn’t go anyways. Had training to get to. 

Was messaged by the manager at Clancy’s Boxing, telling me she had a ticket for me to attend tonight’s live fights with the owner of Clancy’s Boxing, Mr. Clancy himself. She also noted they had “big news” for me. 

Ran into Coach Perez. He was hanging out the side door of the building where the fights were being held so I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around him. I’ve missed him so much. 

Received the “big news” – a job offer that’s amazing but out of my comfort zone and is intimidating. “Magic happens out of your comfort zone”, my friend noted to me tonight. I don’t believe in magic but both them, a close friend and Coach Perez. told me I should jump on it. 

Ran into a lot of long-time-no-see faces, like Mr.X and a high school friend who I haven’t seen since, well, high school. He’s now a writer and tonight he gave me a copy of a magazine he wrote an article for, very cool. He wrote about Mohammad Ali, definitely very cool. 

Met one super buff lady from Huf’s Boxing. I met her sister a few months ago and she invited me out to her boxing club and tonight I got invited again. Now I definitely have to go. If they have tough, hardcore women like this coming out of their club then their club is surely something I want to become associated with. 

May have scored a sweet new sponsor from a fan of mine on Instagram who follows me. We talked about him hooking me up with these crazy new running shoes and supplements. I made him pinky swear he wasn’t just trying to sweet talk me so let’s see what becomes of this. I’m not holding my breath but it was great to meet him nonetheless.

Ended the night by dropping by the condo of a particular "someone" who I had mentioned earlier on tonight that I wanted to talk to him.  I was nervous about the unexpected job offer I had been presented today and wanted to know what he thought. I was expecting to meet him around midnight, right after I left the boxing tournament and the after party.  He wasn't there so I waited.  I waited close to 40 minutes.  He never showed up.

I had woken up at 5am, left my house at 5:50am.  Returned home at 1:30am and crashed at around 1:50am.... and to think I have to be up by 6:30am tomorrow, ouch!!!

No comments: